Chapter 3

青葉城西のバレーボールのチーム
Aoba Johsai's Volleyball Team

-x-

I pouted to myself as I stared at my silent phone. It's been a day and he still hasn't messaged. Yui said he might be busy, and I get it. Maybe I shouldn't have hoped that he will message me. It's Kageyama Tobio, of course, he has nothing in his mind but volleyball. Just like someone I know.

"岩ちゃん!(Iwa-chan!)" his voice echoed in the gym. I'm only present in their gym practices when Oikawa and I have a family thing to go to together after school. And today, we'll be having dinner together. Iwaizumi's coming too. At first, Mom didn't like it when Iwaizumi tags along because I won't get any alone time with Oikawa, until she noticed that Iwaizumi sees the potential between me and Oikawa as well.

Which I highly disagree with.

But Iwaizumi is a friend. I don't mind what he thinks, as long as he doesn't push us like how our parents do.

"痛い!(Ouch!)" I exclaimed. There was an excruciating pain at the side of my head. My sight glitched for a second before I looked up to check what happened.

I found Oikawa, with his hand resting on his hips, looking at me with an evil smirk. "あー、御免 (Oops, sorry)," he teased. I simply rolled my eyes. He's diverting my attention away from my phone. Ever since he found out, from his own source, that Kageyama Tobio and I exchanged emails, he's been, like this.

The whistle blew and the players scattered. Oikawa and Iwaizumi were, as usual, together. Seriously, why can't it be them instead. That'll be a lot better.

"内山さん (Uchiyama-san.)" I turned to the direction of the voice. It was Yahama. "大丈夫か?(Are you okay?)" He probably saw Oikawa accidentally hitting my head. If that was an accident. I know he can control the power he puts in to hit the ball, and he definitely didn't hit it hard enough for it to be an accident. He hit it just right to get my attention. But it was still painful, idiot Oikawa!

"大丈夫です(I'm okay.)"

"此処で待たせるの何故だ?(Why does he make you wait here?)" Hanamaki commented, drinking his water afterwards. "まだガキか?(Is he still a kid?)"

"聞こえたぞ、マッキ!(I heard that Makki!)" Oikawa's being cute again. He doesn't try to be cute. He has this mode switch. The way he switches from serious to playful and vice versa is so sudden, and so instant. It's almost creepy. I can't understand why he has practically split personalities, but I'm gonna let my brain relax and assume that it's just his nature.

Kindaichi approached me in a formal stance, just like the way he is with Oikawa. He looks up to Oikawa, and the whole team, including myself, has no idea why. Why. Why is Oikawa considered cool? He's a dork!

"内山さん (Uchiyama san)," he called. "アイスパック必要か?(Do you need an ice pack?)" His tone was hiding his worry, but I can clearly tell that he is.

I opened my mouth to reply, but before any sound could come out of it, my head was hit with something cold. It landed on my palms. As I looked down on it, the coldness was getting worse and I couldn't just hold it still. It was a yellow ice pack in the shape of a duck. I smiled at myself and looked up at Iwaizumi. "ありがとう、岩さん (Thanks, Iwa-san.)"

"岩ちゃん!どうしてアイスパックをあげた?(Iwa-chan! Why did you give her an ice pack?)" Oikawa grumpily said.

Matsukawa hung his arm around Oikawa, with a teasing smile on his lips. He lifted his hand and squished Oikawa's cheeks hard. "岩泉は紳士だ、お前と違って (Iwaizumi is a gentleman, unlike you.)"