Chapter 22

エレガンス
Elegance

-x-

"他に方法はありませんか?(Isn't there any other way?)" Hino looked the most concern out of the three. Shiro and Yui looked defeated, as if Suzuki dropped the painful truth they were all trying to avoid telling me.

Being only a high school student, there's a limit to the things we can do. Fighting for our love, that displeases the majority is not one of them. Neither of us has enough strength to protect us from their critics. Which made me realize, if only Tooru wasn't so famous, we wouldn't have such a problem. But he is, and there's no point in hoping that he isn't.

--

Tooru was supposed to pick me up from the mall, but I refused and told him to just wait for me at home, since I had some matters to attend to. He didn't ask what it was, which bothered me. It's like he already knew what it was.

Stopping by our usual spot, Shirabu was there ready to be the best friend that he is. I told him about what Suzuki suggested. It would've been normal for him to feel fine since he was pursuing me, but at that moment, he looked as worried as Hino. They somehow looked alike.

"他の方法が探してだ。心配しないで (We'll look for another way. Don't worry.)" He turned on his ankles and led the way to Tooru's house.

Along the way, rain started to pour. Luckily, Shirabu brought his umbrella. The both of us were quiet as we walked. I thought hard about the situation. But in the end, I just wished to be home with Tooru already.

"白布!ありがとうな (Shirabu! Thanks.)" Tooru met us. We were still a block away from his house. He knew this?

Shirabu lowered his head and replied, "問題ないです。気をつけて (No problem. Take care.)" Tooru took me by the hand and gracefully moved me from under Shirabu's umbrella to his. As I turned back, and found Shirabu smiling at me. Like Tooru, I thanked him as well before walking back home with Tooru.

I clung to his arms as we walked on the silent road. "ね。。徹 (Hey.. Tooru.)" He hummed in response. "会いたかった (I missed you.)" My tear landed on my skin.

"どうしたの?大丈夫?(What's wrong? Are you okay?)" There goes that line. That question.. His tone was different, but it hit my heart the same way.

I moved in front of him to stop him from walking. Not wasting a second, I stood on my toes and held his cheeks, pulling him down just enough for my lips to reach his. Tooru gasped in the kiss, but it didn't take long for him to give in. He dropped the umbrella and placed his left on my cheek, and his right behind my head, pushing me closer to deepen the kiss. The rain soaked us hard, but we just stayed under the rain, enjoying the moment.

--

"夕暉!(Sekki!)" His mother's worried voice greeted us. "早く風呂に入る(Hurry and take a bath now.)" She wrapped me in a towel. As I made my way to the shower, I could hear her lecturing Tooru, saying it was inappropriate of him to get me wet from the rain. I smiled to myself. It was a nice kiss.

I kept my shower quick, so that Tooru doesn't dry up from the rain. He might get sick. He actually suggested to shower together, but I declined immediately.

Tooru didn't take long in the shower either. Before even realizing it, he was already in bed hugging me from behind. I sat up, excited. We agreed to tell our parents about us tonight. It was one of the things we planned to do after we told each other the concerns of going public.

"お母さん!(Mom!)" I waved in the video call. We were using Tooru's phone for this, since mine doesn't have such a feature.

Her eyes disappeared with a smile, only for it to be opened as wide as the moon. I guess she noticed that Tooru and I were in his room. "夕暉!教える、もうあのか?!(Sekki! Tell me, are you already?!)"

"付き合ってです(We're dating)," Tooru answered.

The camera went out of control. I think she dropped the phone. Her high-pitch squeal followed next as she called for dad, telling him the good news. If her reaction is like that.. I wonder.. how will Tooru's parents react to us.

"ママ(Mama)," Tooru called. We were in the dining table eating dinner. I cannot believe he chose this time to tell them. Both his parents stopped their eating to listen to Tooru. "俺たちは。。(We're..)" he glanced at me and put his hand over mine. "つき— (Da—)"

His dad smiled to himself and went back to eat while his mom expressed her excitement by squealing, just like Mom. She dropped her chopsticks and looked for her phone. I bet she called my mom.

Tooru and I looked at each other, a bit flabbergasted by their reaction, before breaking out into sweet laughter. Despite the concerns we had earlier today, being at home really makes me feel at home.

内山夕暉
多分大丈夫だね

Uchiyama Sekki
I think we'll be alright

I sent a message to the girls. I wrote one for Shirabu as well, assuring him that we'd be okay.

Monday was nearing, and our friends got more worried of how our first day of school would be like as an official couple. Tooru and I visited my family's house, because I wanted to get advice from mom on a situation like this. On the other hand, Tooru didn't tell me that he was asking my dad for permission to live with me in a house separate from our families. It would be weird, at this point, to hear him, refuse.

As expected from Oikawa Tooru...

"先ずは、エレガンス(First of all, Elegance.)" Mom's words stuck to my mind. She said that a woman of class, would be difficult to throw off the picture. Since I wasn't really that kind of a woman, Mom spent the night fixing my posture, my tone, and my movement. It was exhausting, for being sophisticated isn't how I naturally am. Repeated actions do become habits. Nevertheless, I got her 'OK' to be myself when my people are around, which was a breather.

Tooru brought up our interlocked hands and placed a kiss on the back of my palm. "準備か?(You ready?)" his eyes moved to me.

I gave him a smirk, walking to school in a way I never walked before.