Chapter 9

あの時
That Time

-x-

Before the summer training camp, Karasuno High lost to Aoba Johsai High during the Inter-High preliminaries. It was highly celebrated by the team, but when the match with Shiratorizawa came up, the team's spirit rolled downhill.

Ushiwaka was standing straight up, using only his eyes to look down at Oikawa, whose whole body made contact with the hardwood floor. His head was raised, looking back at Ushiwaka with the most intense gaze he's ever made. His limbs shook as he got back on his feet. His veins were clearly visible in his arm as he weakly swayed into stability.

Ushiwaka stayed stoic. He has a strong demeanor and a fierce aura, but Oikawa's not going to back down from that. His height, power, and skills, aren't enough to stop Oikawa from getting better.

Aoba Johsai is not going to back down!

"イケイケ!オ。イ。カ。ワ!(Go go! O-i-ka-wa!)" It didn't matter if I was straining my voice, I need to help Oikawa get back on his feet. The rest our schoolmates echoed my cheer and the boys on the bench looked our way, but not the ones on the court. That's the way. Just keep your eyes on your opponent, guys.

I glanced to Shiratorizawa's side and found Shirabu staring at me. His face was straight and calm. It took a second before the corner of his lips tugged up a bit, and I noticed that it caught Oikawa's attention.

Sorry Shirabu. We're friends, but Aoba Johsai is my school.

"青葉城西の女が青葉城西に所属 (Aoba Johsai's girl belongs to Aoba Johsai.)"

I'm sorry Oikawa, for that one time I wore Shirabu's volleyball jacket. I'm not gonna disgrace our school like that again. I'm all for Aoba Johsai.

The school's cheer echoed in the gym, but I could no longer push myself. The scene that I was watching was a nail-biter. It was the second set and Aoba Johsai was at 23 points. We have a chance to win. But Shiratorizawa isn't going to back down. I know. Just from a quick glance from Shirabu. That short second is enough for him to tell me that they're going to win this.

Grey images of the team's condition whenever they lost to Shiratorizawa flashed in my head. No, they won't go through that phase again. It's enough! Seijoh. Push through!

"信じてよ!青城ー!(I believe in you! Seijoh—!)"

I have no idea how my cheers will contribute to their match, but I couldn't stop myself from yelling that either. Whether I like it or not, the familiar feeling is building up inside me.

I'm nervous.

"おい、夕暉!落ち着くいて!(Oy, Sekki! Calm down!)" Yui shook me.

Time slowed down when Ushiwaka jumped up on their side of the net. Shirabu's toss was perfect. The ball positioned right in Ushiwaka's hand. Our team had an opening. Watari must've predicted it and he was able to make it just in time to keep the ball back in the air.

Our team was in a state of panic. I can hear their chaotic thoughts in my head. Take it easy. Please. You'll get this set.

"岩ちゃん!(Iwa-chan!)" The ball travelled so fast I wasn't able to keep up.

Iwaizumi flew up the net and, from his position, was going to hit a cross. My eyes glanced at Shiratorizawa and found Tendou rushing to block Iwaizumi.

"ダメ!(Don't!)" My hands were rooted to the railings. I was losing the pace of my breath.

That lethal sound.