Rock And A Hard Place

It had been two weeks since I ran away and everything was going smooth. I stayed clear of the police. I even changed my hide out just in case they figured out where Kiwambi stayed. I hid deep in the country. Orrville was the name. " Aye, yo mama calling you, said Kiwambi through a smoke filled haze. We were hotboxing her Toyota. Smoking weed was my thang. She hands me the phone and I immediately dropped it. We both laughed at my clumsiness as I felt for the phone on the floor. We were so fucking high. I couldn't even feel my face. I finally grabbed a hold of the phone and quickly slid the icon on the front. " Hello," I said. " Hey Lana, what you doing, asked my mother Rachel. " Nothing, just chilling with Kiwambi, what's up?" "I have some bad news. We're not going to be able to come and get you Lana." The muscles in my cheeks slowly relaxed at the sound of her words. Turning my smile into a frown. " Why not mama?" " Your sister and I both got a call today from the police department down there. They hassled us about your whereabouts but we didn't tell them anything. Then they proceeded to tell us that if you are found at our house we will be put in jail for helping you run away. I'm sorry Lana." "So what am I suppose to do now? I'm not going back to Auntie house. I can't live with that woman. I can only stay with Kiwambi for so long. A new school year is about to start." " You have to turn yourself in Lana. You have no other choice." My heart broke into pieces at the sound of her words. Turn myself in. To the people I've been hiding out from this entire summer. I was broken. I was afraid. My life had taken a turn down a path of no return. " Okay mama. I'm going to turn myself in later on today. I'll talk to you before I go." " Alright Lana. I'm sorry we can't come get you baby. Stay safe." I hung up the phone and sat it on the arm console of the car. " What's wrong Lana," asked Kiwambi. I looked out the window and let out a long sigh. " I got to turn myself in to the police. They told my mama and sister that if they were to come and get me they gone throw they ass in jail." Kiwambi shook her head and lit up another blunt. She took a hit and handed it to me. " So when you gone turn yourself in,"she asked. I closed my eyes and exhaled the toke. " Shid, what's the point of avoiding the inevitable. I may as well gone do it today." I passed her back the blunt as she nods her head in agreeance. Kiwambi cranks the car and headed toward the police station. She called her mother on the way over to give her the news. As we pull into the police station I notice her mother standing outside of her car waiting for us. We get out of the car and said our goodbyes to one another. I could sense that Kiwambi was afraid for the future that awaited me. I reassured her that everything was going to workout. Although I didn't have a clue on what was about to happen. As I walked away I glanced back to get one more look at Kiwambi. She was crying in her mother's arms. I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat at the sight of Kiwambi in tears. Shook off my watering eyes and continued walking towards the door. Head to head with my biggest fear. I took a deep breath and opened the door to the police station. I walked over to the front desk and they immediately knew who I was. " My name is Alana Johnson.  I was told to come down here and turn myself in," I said to the receptionist. " Okay, just have a seat in the waiting room and the Sherriff will be down in a minute, said the receptionist. I did as I was told and waited on the Sherriff. " Alana Johnson, said the tall white man as he entered the waiting room. " Yes sir. That's me, I said. " Well aren't you a sight for soar eyes. We've been looking all over for you. Where have you been, he asked. I humped my shoulders at his question. I wasn't about to drag Kiwambi or her family into the bullshit I was in. That was my ace. We had each other's back. Through thick and thin. " Well alright let's take the elevator up to my office, said the sheriff. We took the elevator up to the top floor and got off. He lead me to a big round table that sat outside of his office. He gave me a bag of chips and a Gatorade. Told me to make myself at home while he made a few calls. I nodded my head in agreeance as I stuffed my mouth with Doritos. The munchies had taken over me by then. He went into his office. Closed his door and proceeded to make calls. Five minutes later he exited his office and headed towards me. He sat down at the table with me and began explaining what was about to happen. " Alana, I want to let you know that I called your aunt. She's on her way now to come and get you." " No, no. I can't go back there. She's evil. She hates me. She even threatened my life. You can't make me go back there. Please." " I know you all disagreed on some things and you decided to run away. I think you all can work this out though. Just at least try to get along with your aunt Alana. You only have one more year of high school anyway. You'll be able to do what you want soon enough. You just have to stick this last year out. We even got you a spot on the volleyball team if you want it. Didn't you say you always wanted to play?" I looked down at the floor and contemplated on the offer he was presenting to me. " Well when you put it like that I guess I could get along with her for another year. I always did want to play volleyball. I'll try to get along with her but I'm telling you sir. She's evil. You'll see." He looked at me with doubt in his eyes. I already knew he made the assumption that I was a fast teenager that just wanted to have my way. I knew that because that's how my aunt viewed me. When she made the run away report I'm sure she told them that. In those exact words. I continued to stuff Doritos in my mouth and waited for my aunt to appear. Fifteen minutes later she was rushing through the door with my uncle Darnell. She didn't even look at me. Neither did he. They past by the table that I sat at without a glance at me. I could feel the hate. They entered the Sheriffs office and closed the door behind them. Two minutes later they were leaving the building. The sheriff signaled for me to enter his office. I sat down in one of the chairs that faced his desk. He leaned back in his chair. Placing his finger on his chin. He looked at me and said, " You were right. Your aunt was everything you said she was. Out of all my thirty-two years of police work I have never seen someone so nasty. So rude. She told me she didn't want you. That she didn't give a damn about what happens to you or where you go. I have three children of my own. No matter what they do, I would never disown them. She made it very clear that you couldn't come back to her home. I'm so sorry you had to deal with this Alana. I'm sorry I didn't believe you." His words were no surprise to me because I knew my aunt. Better than she even knew herself. " So where do we go from here," I asked. " Someone from the Department of Human Resources will be here shortly to get you." " Department of Human Resources? As in DHR, I asked with fear. " Yes Alana. You'll have to transition into foster care since your aunt won't take you back into her home." My eyes met the floor and fear took over me. I didn't know what DHR was exactly. All I knew was whenever I did something wrong my aunt would threaten to send me there. I could tell by the look on his face that it wasn't the place I wanted to be. As I sat in his office chair waiting for my caseworker; I couldn't help but feel fear. As if I had jumped out of the frying pan into a blazing fire. That was going to burn me alive for an entire year.