231 Miles Road

" Her name is Nonna Jean," said my temporary caseworker. She was explaining who I would be staying with temporarily. As we rounded the cul de sac I became a little more relieved. The houses in the neighborhood were beautiful. Definitely an upgrade from the shack I use to live in. " The destination is on your right," said the GPS. We pulled into the driveway of a brick house. It had four rocking chairs on the porch. Burgundy shutters on the windows with a white screen door. I didn't know who I was about to live with but I knew they were old. Only elderly people have rocking chairs on their front porch. We got out of the car and my temporary caseworker knocked on the door. " Who knock, asked Nonna Jean. " It's Celia, said the caseworker. Nonna Jean unlocks the door and smiles at the sight of us. " Well come on in, she said. We entered the house and the smell of moth balls filled the air. We sat down on her couch as she went in the kitchen to get us something to drink. Gazing around the room I could tell she was the rock of her family. There were pictures of what I assumed were her children. Even pictures of her grandchildren. I snapped out of my gaze as Nonna enters back into the room. " Here you go," said Nonna. " Thank you," I replied. " So this is Alana Johnson. She's 17 and going to the 12th grade this coming fall. She a straight A student and has perfect attendance. She lived solely with her aunt up until now. She is aware that this is a temporary placement until we find more suitable living for her, said my caseworker. " Umhumm. Well I want to hear from her. She hasn't said a peep since she's been here. I know a pretty girl like yourself can't be that shy, said Nonna Jean. I blushed at her compliment. " No mam, I'm not shy. This is just all new for me. It's an unfamiliar environment. That's all, I said. Her eyes grew big when I spoke. " Well I see you're very well mannered. You make straight A's. Got perfect attendance. You're pretty. You seem like a good child. Now what would make someone so well put together run away from their home, she asked. My eyes grew big at her question. I wasn't aware that she knew my entire background. I was a stranger moving into her home though. I guess it was only right they tell her all my business. I cleared my throat before answering her question. " I was involved with an older man. My aunt didn't agree and one thing led to another and now I'm here, I said as I sipped my tea. " Well I can tell you one thing about those men honey. They only want what's between your legs. They lay down with all these different women and all they can tell you is that it feels good. They gone go on and tell eery otha woman the same thang. These men aint no good. A bright, pretty and promising girl like yourself needs to be focused on your future. What are your plans after you graduate," Nonna asked. " I want to be a Gynecologist, I replied. " See that right there. That's what I'm talking about. That's a great field to go in. You aint gone have time to be worried about no damn boy. You gotta keep your head in those books. If you wanna reach your goal. I believe in you. See Celia. All these chiren need is some structure and for someone to let em know they believe in em," said Nonna Jean. " You right about that Nonna. Alana why don't you go get your suitcase out of the car and bring it in the house. Nonna Jean will show you to your new room, said my caseworker. " Yes mam," I said. I grabbed the keys from Ms. Celia and headed towards the SUV. I opened the trunk and pulled my bag to the ground. As I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder Ms. Celia began to exit Nonna Jeans house. "Alright, call me if you have any problems Nonna, said Celia. As she headed to her driver side door. " Oh we aint gone have no problems. Aint that right Alana, asked Nonna Jean. " Yes, mam, I said as I walked back into the house with my luggage. " Look a here, I tell her nih. Ueon gotta run away in the dead of the night here. Just let me know you wanna go and I'll open the door and lock it behind ya, yelled Nonna Jean. They both burst out laughing before saying goodbye. The squeaking sound of her hardwood door sent chills up my spine as she closed it. " Come on, Imma show you to your room, said Nonna. She leads me into the kitchen then hits a sharp left then another left. There was a big Queen sized bed with the matching dresser/mirror set. There was a table with a lamp light for studying by the window. A wardrobe to put all of my clothes in and a small nightstand beside my bed. There was an extra dresser right by the entryway to my room along with a deep freezer. You could tell this room use to be the garage because of the really big window and the back door that was in my room. There was another deep freezer in front of the door so that no one could get in or out. " This is it. You can make yourself at home. I placed a face towel and a dry off towel there on the bed for you. I know its been a long day for you and I want you to feel at ease here. You're safe. I do have a few rules that you must follow. 9 o'clock is when all lights are out. I have a younger son Vander. He stays to himself and is always in his room in the back with me. You don't bother him he won't bother you. After you finish taking a bath I expect you to clean the tub back out. Once school starts you will come home. You will eat dinner and then you will take a bath. After that you can study and do all of your homework but once 9'oclock hits. Lights out. I do all the cooking and washing of dishes. You will have a few chores around the house. You'll be expected to keep the den in order, clean the bathroom and mop the floors in the house. Only once a week. Whatever day is good for you is fine with me, said Nonna. " Okay, that sounds fine, I said with a smile. " Alright. Well I'll leave you to it. Are you hungry sweetie, asked Nonna. " No I'm fine. Just want to take a shower and go to sleep really, I replied. " Alright, said Nonna. She exited my room and headed towards the other half of the house. As I looked around at my new room. I was sold. It wasn't my king sized bed back home but the air smelled fresher. The energy was brighter and opportunities danced before me. I began to put my clothes away in my dressers. Thirty-Eight minutes later I was heading towards the bathroom. I went into the bathroom and closed the door. There was a wall to wall mirror with vine trees going all over the top. Nonna Jean had a matching pink and green bathroom set. Everything was so pretty. I turned towards the bathtub. The shower curtain was closed. I held on to the curtain and eased it back. Praying that there was no mold. Crystal clear. Her tub was spotless. Inside and out. " Wheeeeww." I let out a sigh of relief as I bent over to draw my bath. As the tub filled with water I began to wrap my hair. My mind wondered to the family I left behind. How was life for them now? Do they hate me? Are they gonna try and get back custody? A million questions ran through my mind. I turned off the water that was filling the tub. I dipped my toe in first to test the temperature. As I sat in my bubble bath I began to stared at the tile walls. Leading me into space. A wave came over me. A wave of tears. This was my new life. I lived with strangers. This was my new reality. I wasn't crying because I was unhappy with where I was. I was crying because life as I knew it was over. I was becoming a new person. The old Alana was officially dead.