Chapter five ( edited )

Finally arriving at the empty houses, we see exactly how weird they are. No sign of people but it looks as if they just disappeared. Their personal item left and chores undone. As if an emergency happened and they had to suddenly evacuate. Landry left on the lines, toys laid out on the floor, dinner served, long since cold. It definitely doesn't look like they left on purpose. 

" The question is who and how.  I don't see any struggle or blood. "  I pick up an abandoned doll and hold it up to his face. 

" What sane little girl would leave her precious dolly behind.  I'm thinking hypnosis or a type or teleportation. " 

He swats the doll away and looks out the window. 

" There's really no point in investigating the empty houses. I doubt the demon will come back to houses. Might as well go on patrol or find a place for the night. " 

I finish my observation and start to head out but he suddenly grabs my arm pulling me back into the house. He grips his Nichirintou and points outside to a boy. He looks around searching for someone. It's easy to guess that he is looking for us. I draw my blade and we head out. 

" You looking for us boy?" He jumps and before he can reach into his sleeve, I knock him down and pin him with my blade at his neck. 

" So here's the deal. I don't really have a problem with killing humans especially if their working with demons. Here's the great part, I don't think my partner here, would care if i do it either. So you can either tell us what's up and be protected or we can kill you like one of the demons. " I explain as simply as possible. The boy looks scared for a moment but his face suddenly turns sinister. Splashing me in the face with what smells like blood and suddenly, I feel myself being pulled away from reality. 

" TRAP!" is all i get before I loose sight of the wind pillar and suddenly faced with a rock wall. I appeared in what looks like a cave.   A burning sensation from the unknown liquid forces me to keep my eyes shut tightly leaving me blind to my surroundings. 

" Looks like neither of you are that smart. The moment you walked into the town, I knew. All I needed was to get you away from the villagers. Who would have thought one delivery boy would lead me to two demon slayers. " My senses tell me that he's attacking and he grazes my arm as I try to get away. 

"I'm guessing that the delivery boy was the boy I had seen a few moments ago. And let me guess, he's either saving his own skin or you're sparing his family.. Well, either way, I'm not a humanitarian and there's human blood is on his hands. If I catch him, He's dead. " The demons seems to think I'm joking. 

" That's too bad. My blood demon art makes things teleport and guess where that boys is now? tricking the villagers and that framing that other demon slayer, all in the name of that man. By the time, he's done, you'll be dead, your partner will be dead, and I'd have killed and eaten enough humans to get a promotion in to the upper moons. " He goes on with his monologue I have to laugh to myself. 

People keep thinking that we are all righteous people who wouldn't hurt a human. I wonder if Shinazugawa looks that nice to them... I wonder if they would think the same if they knew about everything we've had to do in the past to protect our loved ones. 

All I know is, I need to find him and maybe stop him from going on a rampage. 

 I draw my blade and aim for him and I squat down as low as possible. Holding my sword, I read myself to attack.  I can feel him. I can sense the area around me. I know where he is. I can feel it in my bones. 

" Breath of the Beast, Third Fang: cornered predator. "  This attack is simple. Jump start my muscles with a large breath of oxygen. Propel myself at the enemy real fast with my built up energy. The oxygen rushing in my blood stream gives my lots of energy to be unbelievably strong and really fast. Kind of like a double dose of adrenaline, hence to someone watching, I move around like a cornered beast. The difference is that I don't run. I attack. Spinning my sword from one hand to the other, I attack With my whole body. When I'm not attacking with my sword, I attack bare fist, If my sword is not in my hand, It's flying towards my enemy. I don't necessarily need to see him to attack. I just make my attack range larger, wider, and higher. Exactly why I have a long sword. 

I smirk. 

That's the thing about the breath of the beast. Do anything, do everything. There's no rules, no forms. We learn as we go. Do anything to win, to survive. That's the difference between an animal and a beast. 

I kick him away, he's bloody beyond comprehension and gasping for breath. 

" Maybe against a few regular demon slayer or civilians, you would have won and gotten away but you picked the wrong pillars. You underestimated the Beast pillar.  " 

He starts running to opening. I lunge forward with my blade ready at my side.  

" Breath of the beast, First fang; successful hunt. " Dashing forward at an unpredictable speed, I slice his head clean off his shoulders. I don't even need to look back as I walk right out the cave. All I need to hear is his head hitting the stone cold floor of the cave. 

I guess this demon was really smart though. If he had a little human working for him, he wouldn't have to leave his cave, and he wouldn't leave any evidence behind. As long as his human never got caught that is, and unfortunately for him, his human was dumb enough to target two demon slayers.