Chapter eighteen (edited)

I can only hear the rushing of the air past my ears. Being the closest pillar in the area, I was called to put a pause to the rampaging wind pillar. I hear him as soon as I make my way into the building. I also hear Genya and Tanjiro. I run around the corner and what I see makes my blood boil. It happens in slow motions. He's attacking Genya at his full speed and I barley have the time or speed to tackle both Tanjirou and Genya out of the way. 

I can feel my tense face, my blood pulsing in my veins. 

" What the hell are you doing." My voice comes out sounding calmer than I thought it would. 

" Mitsuki. Stay the hell out of my way. I'm incapacitating them to the point that they need to quit the demon corps. " I can almost see steam coming out of his mouth as he says this. He doesn't look sane.. I step in front of the two boys who are still on the ground trying to catch their bearings. 

" Tanjirou. Grab my sword and hold onto it for me. If I have it on me, I'll probably end up killing the fucker. " I can feel my hands twitching to draw my blade. My instincts are screaming at me to get away from Sanemi, that he is dangerous. That he will hurt me but I need to protect these two. 

" Mitsuki. I won't say it again. Stay the hell out of my way or I'll do something we both regret. " This time, his sentence comes out sounding more serious, not out of anger but a genuine warning. Instead of listening, I reach down to Genya, pulling him up onto his feet. 

" Genya, do you remember what we talked about at the waterfall. You don't ever forget that you hear? Don't forget about what I said about your brother or a me. For now, you and Tanjirou need to get out of here. understood? " I order and he nods. Tanjirou looks up at me as if he would be able to stop me but with a quick glare, he's off. 

Sanemi doesn't overlook this and goes to follow but I kick out at him, aiming for his head forcing him to jump back. His attention fully being place on me, he goes on full attack mode and charges at me.  He lands a hit to my stomach and I gasp for air but hurry to dodge a punch coming for my face. Barley missing it, I get a shallow cut right across my cheek and nose. in response, I attack with a barrage of low attacks unique to my brother and I. He struggles to dodge them and I land multiple hits, resulting in a busted lip and probably a couple broken ribs. 

" Who would have thought we would be fighting now of all times. I thought it would be much later." I casually state and he doesn't even reply, completely focused on fighting me. I don't stop there. 

" Are we still fighting over the wedding or does this not count? " I try again and he gives me a crazed look. 

" WHO Would Ma..." He goes to say something but before he can, I run at him grabbing his ankle from under him in an ankle pick, successfully bringing him down and covering his mouth. 

" Don't." He fights against my knees pinning down his arms. 

" Don't say anything right now. Especially when you know you don't mean it. Your upset and you'll regret what you say now. I'll be upset, you'll be upset and nothing will come of it. You know that Sanemi." I give him a cold glare he seems to understand because he stops fighting back and just lays there. 

I let him go and just sit on his stomach. I give him a smile but the sadness etches in my chest. 

" That's one win for me and one loss for you Sanemi. Looks like the weddings in the winter." I try to joke but i can feel the tears forming in my eyes. I let myself fall to his chest not caring that we have an audience. 

" Why the hell are you crying. " He asks monotone and I look up slightly. 

" I'm crying for the both of us because I know you won't cry no matter how many times you self sabotage everything and your heart breaks. "  He sits up and I take the chance to wrap my arms around him. He needs it more than me. I know. I know he doesn't mean everything he says or does.  

He's just too broken to know how else to express concern. He doesn't know how else to channel his anger. I may be the only one in the world who under stands this but that's all he need. Just one person. 

" It's ok. Everything is ok Sanemi. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. Everything will be alright." I whisper for only him to hear and in response, he wraps his arms around me. 

I hear the rustling of people around me. I let go of Sanemi. 

" If you all aren't strong enough to stop an unarmed and emotional pillar, defeating a upper moon is nothing but a far fetched dream. If you have nothing better to do than to watch us fight, you'd best start self training. You'll need it when you get to my training." I snap at them and they scurry around like roaches exposed to light. 

" Will you be ok? I'm going to go get my sword back and check on the boys. " I ask him and he looks up at me and I don't think I've ever seen him so broken but he nods. 

I reach down and take his face in my hands. Leaning down I give him a kiss, hoping he can feel all the emotions I feel right now. 

" Sanemi, I love you. I loved you then and I love you now. I'll probably love you until I die. Nothing is going to change that no matter how many hurtful words you throw at me. So save yourself the self sabotage. I'll always stay by your side no matter what. " I finish my speech and he reaches up, pulling me back down for another kiss before letting go, standing up, and walking back into the house. 

I watch him go. It almost feel like a good bye.