Chapter eight ( edited )

The new mission isn't a hard one. They trapped a bunch of demons in a forest, and now it's our job to eradicate them. Since they really don't want to sacrifice the lives of young, new recruits, they send in the older, more experienced demon slayers who will for sure get the job done. 

Meaning, they send in the two Pillars that they know won't have a problem with just out right massacring these demons. It's not that I don't feel bad for them, I do, but there's nothing I can do. This is my job and we all have to do our part. If I don't kill them, they might kill someone else all for the simple reason of trying to survive. In this world, only the strong keep living and I, I'm strong. 

To get to the forest, it's a few day's walk. We've already communicated with the Kakushi to arrange places to rest so all we need to do it make our way from place to place. 

I finish my first rice ball and start eating the next one. The cute little girl Aoi made me special rice ball with medicine in it to enhance my healing and I am loving them. The glistening white rice, with a sprinkle of salt. The sweet but sour plum. The crispy thin sheet of dried seaweed. This is what you call a good meal. Not to mention the gourd of delicious tea she gave me as well. This girl, Aoi, is heaven sent. She helps me completely ignore the monstrosity walking behind me, staring holes into my back. 

To lay it out simply, he's in a mood. He's upset that I refuse to call him Sanemi. Going back to the day of the incident, the day he emotionally attacked me. 

Pushing and pulling at my heart strings until I snapped and threw him out of my room. Imagine him flying out of a door because that's exactly what happened. If he expects me to be just like a normal female, small and dainty, he'll have a fist coming at his face. 

" Oi. Mitsuki! Stop acting like a child and face me!" He constantly tries to rile me up. Trying to get me to fight back but I decided that he, Shinazugawa Sanemi, is beneath me. Why do I need to argue with him for no reason. I won't get anything out of it, it's just a waste of energy. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his company and I enjoy a lot of things about him but if he's going to treat me like some cute little city girl, well, I'll just ignore him. 

" Shinazugawa. Would you stop yelling. Your hurting my ears and I can't get a good feel of our surroundings. "  I let him know and I can feel the air around him vibrating in anger once again. It seems to happen quite often. 

" I know your smart and that you know how to watch your tongue. So what I don't understand is why you act like more of a wild child than me. If someone were to tell me that you were raise in the mountain full of bandits, I wouldn't doubt it. " 

I can't travel with this tension. I have to get on better terms with him for now and changing the subject tends to work with him. 

He glares at me but sighs loudly. 

" Hope you know,  I'm not forgetting the fact that your changing the subject." He growls  before walking up beside me. 

He grabs hold of my bag, pulling it off of my shoulder and slinging over his. 

" I was born in a town in the west but I grew up on my own traveling around killing demons. " He doesn't go on explaining and I get that feeling again. The one where I know he doesn't want to talk about it any further. 

" SO you are a wild child. " I grin taking in his appearance. I'm guessing this has something to do with marechi blood. I'm also pretty sure, that this new information also contributed to his physique. I'm starting to understand his story. I'm sure if I dig a little deeper, I'm figure it out. 

" I don't know when I was born but my brother and I were raised in the mountain by a boar. " This is a good system of give and take. I'll give him info and he'll feel obligated to do the same. 

"But my mom was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. Even the person who I knew as father was beautiful. Now, he didn't look human. He had this blond hair  so maybe he was from another country. Now that I think about it, maybe he was a foreigner. we lived in a port city too." 

I laugh to try and lighten the mood. 

He listens intently. Probably trying to piece together my past but I'm not exactly hiding anything. 

" There's no way you were raised by a boar. A boar can't teach a human how to speak or fight." He's literally like a child. Curious. Makes me think he's never had a friend. 

" I was already 4. When our mo..." 

I guess I do have a few things to hide. This is secret for me and no one else. 

" Well, I was already 4 when we were adopted by our boar mom and so I was already pretty much human you know. My brother on the other hand grew up more like an animal, hence, his personality traits. " 

He picks up on my caution and grins. 

" Looks like there more of you for me to find out about ." 

" I could say the same about you, Wind pillar." 

I tilt me head up giving him my most confidence rich smirk. The veins in his forehead pops out and he grins back with an angry smirk, once again upset of being called something other than his name. 

" Better watch it little girl. I'll kill you before any demon gets the chance." 

" Go ahead and try. You'll never catch me. You'll only get caught by my fangs. " 

I pull down my mask and jumping away from him, ready to draw my blade and pounce. 

" Member can not fight. can not fight!!! MEMBERS CAN NOT FIGHT! CAW!!!!" our two crows start screaming above us. I feel my anger getting the best of me, forcing me to breath in deeply and let out a sigh, standing up straight.

" Your such a piece of work Shinazugawa." I snarl and he glares at me with his intense eyes. He faces the way we're suppose to walk. He stands rigid not moving. 

" ARE YOU COMING OR NOT." He growls and I find myself smiling again. 

I run to catch up, pulling on his arm to keep him in place. I rummage into my bag and pull out some leaf wrapped food. 

" Here. " I hand him the food. " It's a long walk. Might as well share." 

He just snatches the food out of my hand and starts aggressively eating. 

" I have a younger brother. His name is Genya. " 

" Oh, another story to be uncovered." I grin 

He looks away, kind of looking a little bashful, maybe embarrassed. I look down and see his hand being offered to me. 

I take it, pulling myself closer to him. 

" I'd like to meet your baby brother. After all, you've already met mine but my brothers anything but friendly. He's the wildest of wild children. " 

I smirk 

" If you treat us as anything other than wild children, you'll be eaten alive."