Chapter twenty three ( edited )

It's been a 3 months since then. Everyone is healing, mourning our lost ones.  We meet with the new head of the Ubuyashiki house hold. He bows his head and I can't say anything. 

We fought because we had to. We fought because we wanted to save people, to keep them safe. That's not something we should be thanked for. 

I get up and walk up to the little boy. He's nothing but a little boy. I reach my hand to him and I'm sure he only expects me to give him an handshake. 

With my returned strength, I pull him into a hug. I tell him the words I wish someone had told me for so many years. 

" You don't have to be strong anymore. " I know it was only a few days for him being the head of this demon slayers but for a child, it must have been traumatizing.. No one will understand how afraid he must have felt. No one will be able to comfort him. Only he can give himself permission to cry about it. Only he can forgive himself for the things he blames himself for. 

He cries in my arms and I see that his sisters, even younger than him cry as well in each other's arms. 

Everything will be alright from now on. 

I've already cried so much since that day. I cried for the death of my friends and soon to be brother. I cried in relief when I saw Inosuke once again. I cried when we made the journey to go see Takaharu. I cried in happiness when Sanemi was able to smile again. 

I'm starting to tear up again now, with him walking beside me, wearing his black attire and me in my white. The heavy Kimono dragging slowly behind us. The crowd is silent as we both kneel before the priest, under the beautiful cherry blossom trees. 

We stand to look over the crowd. I see the men and woman we fought with. I see our family. I see our friends. 

" Sanemi. After everything that's happened, I don't think I regret anything." I whisper and he smiles so kindly at me that I would have mistaken him for someone else. 

" This is step one of so many more. " He whispers back and for once, I feel that I am on the path to happiness. 

The wind blows, scattering the petals of the delicate cherry blossoms, as if greeting us, the wind brushes past our skin. 

" By far, you look the most beautiful right now Mitsuki! The most flamboyant of all the versions of yourself!" The retired sound pillar greets me for the last time.  With the ceremony over, everyone is leaving. He opens his arms and I walk myself into them. My husband doesn't stop me. 

" Thank you for bringing me here Tengen. Even after all the hardships we faced, I don't regret it. I'm glad I fought along side you and the rest of the demon slayers. " I look up at him and his tall figure. He pats my head like a child.

" I'm glad that I met you that day. It was the start of a new chapter in our lives. " He lets go of me and steps back to start walking away. 

" I'll write to you when I have my first child . You'll have to come meet them cause they'll be receiving their name from you." He waves as he leaves and even though I'm all out of tears, my lips tremble.. 

" You were never good at goodbyes. Come on, your dumb ass brother and the other boys are still here. " He kisses my head and guides me to where I see my brother still stuffing his face with the food we provided. 

I smile. At least one thing will never change. He spots us and starts screaming at Sanemi. 

" I STILL DON't AccePT  yOu SHInamuchu SAShimi! YOu CaN'T HaVE mY BOSS!!" He screams pointing a finger in his face and I half expected Sanemi to blow a fuss and beat the living lights out of my brother but to my surprise, he just pats his head. 

" I'm fine with that. I don't have her anyways. She has me. " I grin at his statement. 

" Damn right." I give him a quick kiss before turning towards the boys. I heard that they were staying with Giyuu today and then leaving in the morning back to their villages and mountains and such. 

Thou I'm worried about them, I'm sure they can make it as regular people. I'm sure that they will come to visit me. I'm sure of it. 

" I'll miss saving your asses. " I give them one good grin before pulling the three boys in to a hug. I then turn towards the young girl and hug her as well. 

" You take good care of your brother. He likes to get himself into a lot of trouble. " She just smiles and nods. 

We walk them to the gate and after they leave. We are finally alone. 

" We have one more person to say speak to tonight. " I take hold of his hand as we walk towards the cherry blossom in the corner of the yard where we placed a single stone. 

" Genya, we got married today. I told you we would but your brother here never grew the balls to tell you. I'm glad I told you. " I laugh placing down a flower. 

" I promise I'll make him happy. We'll remember everything we've had to endure and keep walking forward. " I turn to Sanemi and his eyes are watering. 

" Genya, I'm already happy. I don't think I'll ever be as happy as I am now. I wish you were here. I wish I did a lot of things differently but.. damn... I just, I'm glad I could be your brother one last time. I'm going to keep living for you, for mom, for our siblings, I'm going to keep living with Mitsuki. Cause she makes me so happy. I love her." He chuckles and wipes his face. 

" We love you Genya. Rest well." He finishes up and I wrap my arms around him. 

" Your absolutely right. We'll keep living. We'll start a family, watch our kids grow up, we'll grow old and finally, we'll die with smiles on our faces."