Ch 09| Baby steps

I guess kindness was something that ran in the Park family.

It was only this morning that Mrs. Park had done me the biggest favor I could've ever asked for, and now Jimin was asking me what I did for a living, thinking that I was unemployed. I mean, it could've been because he feared that I might leave tonight and never comeback, but I didn't think of it that way until a long time passed since the question. I mentally face palmed. That answer could've gone so wrong.

We had gone from awkward conversation, to food, to talking aimlessly. And now we had discovered that we had something in common. We both had a strange addiction to comic books.

 My collection was nothing compared to Jimin's own, but it was nice to have something that we could enjoy together. We spent a while flipping through the pages, Jimin's head rested on my thighs as I leaned back on a few propped up pillows. It was comfortable, yet uneasy. I could sense that Jimin didn't trust me fully even though he had gotten much more relaxed around me. I didn't question his uneasiness. It was only natural for him to be skeptical, having being rejected for so long.

So I would be patient.

Usually I wasn't the person who stayed around for people, or took the time to make friends, but there was something about this boy. A kind of loneliness, and sadness around him that made me want to wrap  him in a blanket and tell him that everything was okay. He was probably so used to having no one, which meant that I was the only someone he had.

And I wanted to prove to him, and half to myself that I could be there for someone, no strings attached.

It was at around six thirty that the door of room 23 opened. As far as I knew, Jimin wasn't expecting anybody else. I tensed, a sort of protective feeling washing over me as I straightened up at the sight of Jimin's scared eyes.

I only relaxed when I saw that the new arrival was simply Mrs. park. And she had brought pizza.

"Well you look like you're ready to fight an army," She chuckled placing the two pizza boxes on the bed, one of which Jimin opened immediately. She sat at the edge of the bed herself, and grabbed a slice.

"Are you perhaps lactose intolerant Yoongi?" She asked, raising a brow.

"No" I responded immediately. I was one of those people who had the pride of having zero allergies.

"Then why won't you eat?"

Well I had been on the verge of grabbing a slice myself, and would have, had she not interrupted. To answer her question, I looked her dead in the eye and grabbed not one, but two slices of pizza, one for each hand.

She chuckled at my act while Jimin's eyes widened.

"You eat pizza sandwiches too?"

I choked on my pizza and eomma Park laughed, covering her mouth with her one free hand. Man Jimin knew nothing about food. 

He pouted.

"Jimin, do you know what a pizza sandwich is?"

"Yuh-huh, you take two slices of pizza," He said, beginning to demonstrate, "Put them on top of each other to make a sandwich," He slapped the two pizza slices together, "And et voila! Pizza sandwich!" He said with a flourish, taking a bite off of his own "pizza sandwich".

"Honey please I'm trying to eat here," Mrs. Park said, doubling over in laughter.

"Jimin that's not a pizza sandwich, that's just called greed," I said as plainly as possible, but my attempt failed miserably when I saw his pouty expression.

"Oh sush, if I say it's a pizza sandwich,  it's a pizza sandwich,"He huffed, taking another bite of pizza.

Amused, I nodded, and ate my pizza in my own civilized way.