Chapter 16

Katerina Dale

A gunshot.

The sound which awoke me from a deep slumber as I laid in a familiar pastel colored bedroom with a small body cuddled up to my side with his little hands tightly clutching onto mine. Slowly lifting my body up, I stared at Elijah's bedroom cloaked in darkness with the moonlight coming in from the window illuminating the nearby surroundings.

Carefully, I took my hand out of Elijah's before climbing off the bed and instantly regretting it as my wrapped up feet hit the cold flooring. I winced in pain and bit back the cry that threatened to escape my lips as the pounding in my head returned. My hands instantly flew up to hold my aching head, only to realize that it was also bandaged.

Someone must have healed my wounds from before and I desperately wanted to know who but the fact that I was dressed in warm clothing, a pair of sweatpants and a button-up dress shirt that held his familiar scent, made me furious instantly. But all of those thoughts flew out the window when I realized two things.

My grandparents were abducted and there was a gunshot sound five seconds ago.

Gasping, I quickly ran out of the room and locked it from the outside to make sure that Elijah wouldn't come outside and get hurt. My wrapped up feet instantly protested at the sudden movement and I could feel blood seeping through the white bandages but I ignored it and sprinted towards the main quarters of the De Luca mansion.

At first, I wondered whether I heard it wrong but the gunshot sounded distant so I knew it didn't take place in Arosio's personal quarters. The only place I could think of was the main quarters where this family spent most of their time. The closer I got to the living room, the more shouting I could hear from inside.

"I won't hesitate to kill you right now if you walk out that door," Arosio's enraged voice could be heard yelling at someone inside the living room as I inched closer towards the entrance with my heart pounding out of my chest.

"Fratello, put the gun down. Principessa will not like it if she were to see you like this," Adriano's calm and clear voice rang through the room before Alanzo yelled at somebody and seemed to be just as pissed as Arosio.

"You can't do this to our principessa! You're her family," Alanzo stated just as I pulled the doors open and ran into the living room to face all of the De Luca family members as well as the last person I thought I would see in this house of horrors.

My grandmama.

As soon as my frightened eyes caught sight of what was going on, the room instantly began to sway and I held onto the closest thing to me, which happened to be Arsenio who wrapped his arm around my trembling shoulders to help stabilize me.

"What do you think you're doing, tesoro? You need to rest. Your feet are bleeding again, fanculo. Maids get over here NOW," Arosio demanded in an infuriated tone that made all of the maids scurry over to me but I pushed their hands and Arsenio's arm away from me before quickly running towards my grandmama and shielding her away from the Mafia boss. (fuck)

"NO, what do you think you're doing? How dare you try to kill my grandmama, you monster," I spat out while glaring at Arosio and trying to calm down my heart when his expression darkened. He looked shocked at my words as if he wasn't the one who was holding a gun towards my frightened grandmama.

"Grandmama, are you alright? Did he hurt you? Where is grandpapa? I went home last night but you both had already been taken, I'm so sorry. Please say something, grandmama," I pleaded with her as I held her cold hands in my own and squeezed them gently. She looked safe except for the bandages around her wrists and a bandage on the corner of her forehead but it was her silence and cold eyes glaring right at me that was scaring me.