12

[Full Name] POV

Before even opening my eyes, I knew where I was already.

There are sounds that are universally recognized by those who have the ability to listen. Like the sound of a bird chirping or the sound of a knocking on a door. There are also personal familiar sounds like the sound of the car backing up and you know it's your dad or the sound of your mother's voice as she shouts at you to wake up.

Right now, I hear a sound I'm far too familiar with, something I wished I wasn't. I hear the sound of footsteps beyond the door accompanied by the sound of chattering and occasionally, wheels as well.

People say your first home is your house and your second is your school. How much time does it exactly take for something to be considered a home?

Maybe this was my home and even if it wasn't, was it going to be soon? I hope not.

"[Surname]-chan! You're finally awake! Thank kami-sama," Michimiya-san said, walking towards me.

"Michimiya-san," I said, smiling at her.

"When you fainted, we brought you to the infirmary and contacted your parents. They were quick to tell us to bring you here."

She took a seat near my bed as she looked at me with sad eyes.

"Is it something serious, [Surname]-chan? I was really surprised when they asked us to bring you to a hospital just because you fainted."

"Don't worry, senpai! My parents are just extreme worriers," I explained.

"How are you? Are you okay now? The team is outside grabbing some snacks, do you want me to call them?"

"I'm fine now, senpai," I said. "The game, how did it go?"

Michimiya-san bit her lip as she looked down.

"Sorry, [Surname]. We couldn't keep the momentum after you collapsed."

I looked at our captain while she still looked at the floor. I knew she felt devastated by the loss of our team. I was too. It was my chance to finally prove to myself that I was better than before and nothing, not even myself, could stop me anymore. Turns out, I'm still weak. I still can't overcome my own boundaries.

"Don't blame yourself, senpai."
I grit my teeth as my hands gripped the hospital blanket over my legs. "If only I could've lasted longer, we might've continued our pace. I'm sorry for fainting on you during an important time."

"Well, it's over now. Don't worry about it anymore," she said, finally looking up and smiling at me.

"I just wish that I could've done more."

"You've already done enough. You were amazing. A record of twelve service aces over the thirty-eight points we were able to get while you were there. That's almost a third of the scores we got by that time. I'm glad you're our teammate."

I smiled at Michimiya-san. Her words were enough to make me actually want to cry, but I knew if I started crying now then I wouldn't stop.

"How were the boys, by the way?" I asked.

"They won their two matches for today. Tomorrow, they're facing Seijoh."

"Seijoh, huh?" I said. "I better wish them luck then."

"I wish I recorded their fight against Date Tech. They won with two straight sets against them despite the wall of blockers," Michimiya-san said.

"I wish I could've watched that."

"It really amazed me how one of their teammates was able to jump so high and fast so many times!"

"Oh! You're probably talking about Hinata. When we fought against them, he was also jumping around," I said.

"Even if I could jump that high, I don't think I can do it as much as he did."

"Stamina problems, am I right?" I joked.

Michimiya-san giggled before facing me with a concerned look.

"Take care of yourself [Surname]-chan, okay?" she said.

I nodded and smiled at her.

The door opened and my team walked in, each of them smiling at me and asking how I felt. I, of course, reassured all of them that I was alright.

They decided to spend a little more time in my room and just talk about random things to keep me entertained. They really couldn't stay any longer though since the sun was about to set soon.

"We're heading out now, [Surname]-chan!" they said as they walked out the door.

I waved them goodbye and gave them a smile as well. "Stay safe!"

Michimiya-san was the last one to leave my room. Before she went outside, she looked at me and smiled.

"Will you go to school tomorrow?" she asked.

"I'd probably have to go through a checkup first from one of the doctors," I said.

Michimiya-san looked at the volleyball jersey on the table near me and had a sad smile before facing me again.

"I'll probably retire from the club along with the other third-years. This was our last competition, but it isn't for you, okay?"

I smiled at her while she ruffled my hair like a big sister.

"You're amazing, [Surname]-chan. Keep playing!"

Michimiya-san waved goodbye as she went out the door and closed it.

The smile on my face quickly turned to a frown the moment I was left alone in my room.

I looked at my palms and grit my teeth as I closed my palms and pressed hard on it with my fingers. When I undid my closed palm, I saw the mark of my fingernails on my palm because of what I did. I didn't care though.

I hated my palm. I hated my legs. I hated my whole body.

I've done nothing but train myself to become a better volleyball player, to get stronger. But the biggest obstacle wasn't something easy to remove when my own obstacle was myself.

Why did I have to faint? Why didn't it wait until we won the second set?

"You're so unfair," I said as I looked at my body. "You couldn't even let me have one win?"

I grabbed the jersey from the table and held it up, admiring the number six on it.

"I want to wear you one more time," I said.

I hugged the black jersey close to my chest as my tears started to blur my eyes. I looked at the window, watching the sun that was really close to setting and the clouds that were slowly turning orange.

I took a deep breath as I rubbed my eye with one of my hands.

"It looks like it's gonna rain soon."