Unlocked

Tsukishima Emiko was walking along the hallway of the hospital. Her long blonde hair was swaying side to side from her ponytail every time she took a step.

Soon, she stopped in front of a door for room 116. Beside it was a small note that told those passing by who was inside the room and which doctor was handling the patient.

Tsukishima Kei

Tsukishima Emiko

Emiko smiled softly as she looked at the man on the hospital bed. His blond hair was lighter now, some of them even had gray streaks now.

"Hey Dad, it's Emi."

The young adult sat beside him and brought out some pictures.

"I saw this around the house. I thought we should look at it together?"

Emiko started flipping through the pictures. There were various kinds of pictures. It had pictures of the two of them while Emiko was still younger. There were also pictures of Kei when he himself was only around his teens.

"Uncle Tadashi told me about this," Emiko said, showing Kei one of the pictures. "This was a picture of your team during your first year. He pointed out how this girl right here became your girlfriend. She's really pretty, Dad. You had good standards."

Kei only groaned as Emiko continued to flip through the photos.

"I heard what happened to her. If things didn't go that way, do you think she would've ended up as my mother?"

Emiko smiled at the picture and gave off a short-lived giggle.

"Well, if you ended up with her you might've not adopted me. Besides, it's not like I really needed a mom. I knew you wanted to give me a mom as well, but I was okay with just us two Dad."

The young Tsukishima smiled at Kei before tucking the photos back to her pocket.

"I'll put this away now. Do you want to listen to some music?"

Once again, Kei only groaned.

"I'll put in your favorite."

Once the soft music started playing, Emiko watched her father while her arms were crossed in front of her chest.

He really wasn't her father- or at least biological. But he was every bit of a father he could be despite the missing blood connection.

Because of their blond hair, people often assumed that Kei had just lost Emiko's mother when in fact, Emiko was just adopted.

Kei never really had a definite reason why he adopted Emiko. He always just told her that when he saw her for the first time, he felt an immediate connection with her as a baby.

Emiko had always felt just how loved she was by her father and she was always thankful that she ended up being adopted by him.

They were happy despite being only two. However, it all changed five years ago when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

It wasn't quick. The disease just slowly killed him off. But still, it pained Emiko to watch her father slowly wither away.