38

Tsukishima Kei's POV

I grit my teeth as the ball went past my block.

"Damn," I muttered under my breath.

We were training right now but my mind kept flying away. How couldn't it when today was the day of [Name]'s surgery? I was uneasy. Well, not just me. Everyone was uneasy as well.

"Tsukishima. Do you want to rest for a while?" Daichi-san asked while approaching me.

"Let's continue. I'm okay," I said, gritting my teeth.

As much as I wanted to stop, I knew that if I took a rest, then all my thoughts will be about her. Then, when that happens, I'd just continue to worry more about her. I'd rather have a distraction than force myself to think of something else.

"Okay. Let's continue," Daichi-san said, clapping twice.

Right now, we were all split into two teams. As suggested by Coach Ukai, the white team had Kageyama, Yamaguchi, Tanaka-san, Azumane-san, Ennoshita-san, and Kinoshita-san while my team had me, Suga-san, Noya-san, Narita-san, Hinata, and Daichi-san.

"It will all turn out okay, Tsukishima," Suga-san said, patting my back.

"I hope so."

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

The score was 24-23 with the other team leading. Kageyama was the one serving this time, sadly. I was in the back with Narita-san and Hinata which meant one of us was most likely gonna have to receive that serve.

'Just great.'

I turned my head and looked at the clock inside the gym— something I shouldn't have done. Because right when I turned around, that's when I realized it was coming towards me.

"Tsukishima!"

"Tsukki!"

"Shit," I said as I laid down on the floor. I sighed as I looked at the ceiling.

Once the ball made contact with my head— thankfully my glasses were spared, I fell on my butt first then on my back. And honestly, I didn't feel like getting up again.

"Alright," Daichi-san said, extending his hand out for me to reach. "Get up and rest for a while."

I grabbed his hand and he pulled me up until I was finally sitting on the floor. A sigh went past my lips as I pushed my hand against my knee to get up. 

I took a seat on one of the corners and just watched them. Because no one else could fill in for my spot, they had to change the number of players per team. It didn't really matter much anymore though since the set was over anyway.

"Do a 4v4 for now," Couch Ukai said.

"Yes, Coach!"

As they started another set, I leaned my head back and sighed.

'I hope you're gonna end up fine, [Name].'

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

"Alright! Everyone take a break!" Coach Ukai said. "Use this time to clear out your heads."

He knew the thing about [Name] and I guess he sensed how the whole team was anxious over it. Even during break, everyone was just silent, until Suga-san broke it.