27

Tsukishima Kei's POV

I was walking along the hospital hallway. In my hand was a paper bag filled with cookies— something [Surname] told me to bring when I visit again. 

As I got closer to her room, I couldn't brush off from my mind the conversation I had with Yamaguchi days ago. Other than the fact that I now knew we both saw [Surname] in the same light, I was also bothered by what he said about me not noticing something.

The most annoying part of trying to find out what you didn't notice is that it was impossible to know alone. 

'If I didn't notice it in the first place, then how the hell am I supposed to notice it on my own?'

I sighed as I finally stopped in front of [Surname]'s room. Once again, she was in room 611. My fingers grabbed the handle as I slid the door open. When I stepped inside, the first thing I saw was her aunt with a finger in front of her lips.

"She's sleeping," she said. "I only came to check up on her. I'm leaving now. Take care of her, okay?"

"Okay, Nanami-san," I said.

"Thank you, Tsukishima-kun."

I watched as [Surname]'s aunt left the room. One she did, I approached [Surname] and sat on the stool near her bed. I placed the paper bag on the table near her glasses after sitting down.

"What am I gonna do?" I asked her. Well, not really.

I never intended to do anything with my feelings towards [Surname]. I always saw it as a lost cause, a story I knew the ending to and thus never paid attention to what could happen.

"Should I do it?"

Should I actually act on how I felt? Should I accept it and try to have her heart as well? Should I try to go against Yamaguchi, a person I knew she liked.

Whether or not she still likes him, the fact that she was once attracted to him definitely puts him in a higher advantage than whatever I have.

"In the end, it's all for nothing, isn't it?"

A soft and short chuckle escaped my lips as I ran my hands through my hair.

"I've made my decision," I said.

I didn't care anymore. Right now, I was just gonna stand beside her. I was gonna be with her as she recovers and when she finally does, that's when I'll decide whether or not I will act on how I felt.

For now, I'm just gonna be beside her as a friend rather than someone who admires her.

"Tsukki? You're here already?" [Surname] asked, scratching her eye.

"Yeah," I said, grabbing her glasses from the table and handing it to her.

"Oh!" [Surname] said as she put on her glasses. "Your casual clothes fit you so well. It looks nice on you."

"What?"

I blinked in surprise with her statement. That definitely caught me off-guard.