| Chapter 12 |

~Katie~

I roll my eyes. Things were going so well. I look over at Travis, who grits his teeth and turns around, so I do too. 

What I see really burns my eyes. There's a girl with her face CAKED with makeup (a/n i have nothing against people wearing a lot of makeup, but there's a line not to be crossed), blonde hair that is so long, they're clearly extensions, and a hot pink crop crop top and short short shorts. It's winter. I won't be surprised if she gets pneumonia later. She's also wearing too much jewelry and her nails are also hot pink. She's even wearing 5 inch heels. What the Hades? I need sunglasses. 

The girl's voice is extremely high, and for a second I think I'm listening to a dog whistle. "Hi, Travis! Remember me?" 

Travis rolls his eyes not-so subtly. "Hi, Mikaylah." Mikaylah looks over at me. 

"Ew! Who is this?" 

I glare at her. "Someone who doesn't wear five layers of makeup and horse hair on her face and head." 

Mikaylah gasps, clearly offended, and I smirk. "Travis, don't tell me you're dating her!" 

Travis squeezes his eyes shut, and reopens them. "Well, we are, so you're going to have to deal with it. Right, Katie-Kat?" I nod, crossing my arms. 

"Oh, yeah? Well, I've known Travis longer, so I deserve him." She glares at me. I roll my eyes. 

"Well, some of us were noticed first, asked out first, and kissed first." I grimace, and mumble under my breath, "And pranked for 7 years first". Travis hears that last part and tries not to laugh. 

Mikaylah picks at her nails. "I've known him since kindergarten, back when we were BEST FRIENDS." 

Travis grits his teeth again. "Huh, well that's funny, since we actually never hung out." I hold back a laugh. 

Narrowing her eyes, Mikaylah says, "Well, yeah, since you never wanted to hang out with me." 

"Gee, I wonder why." I roll my eyes, trying not to laugh, and take another sip of my macchiato. 

"Anyway," Mikaylah suddenly says, making me wince. Did she inhale some helium or something? "Travis, we're doing an elementary school reunion thing that I'm planning, wanna come?" Travis opens his mouth to protest, but Mikaylah adds, "It's going to be on the 29th, since we're having a New Year's Eve celebration thing on the 31st, and we have to set up on the 30th. Also, it's my birthday on the 29th, not that I'm going to make a big deal about it. Alright, see you there!" She shoves a note into Travis's hands and runs off, tripping in the process. 

"And that, Travis, is why girls don't wear 5 inch heels." I turn to him, and he laughs. 

~Travis~

Ugh. I knew she was going to come for me eventually. "How'd she even know I was here?" Katie shrugs. 

"So who was that anyway?" 

I sigh. "Mikaylah Warren, elementary school bully, drama queen, you get it." 

"Wait, Warren?" I look over at her. 

"Yeah, why?" Katie sighs. 

"Uh, at the theater when I went to the bathroom, I met a lady named Lindsey Warren, who said she was your second grade teacher?" I groan inwardly. 

Katie looks at me, and I shake my head. "Uh, Mrs. Warren, my second grade teacher, also happens to be the mother of Mikaylah." At that, Katie looks down. 

"Oh, gods, I'm sorry, if I'd known I wouldn't have-" I cut her off by taking her hand. 

"It's fine, Kates. Now, about the party-"

"Don't tell me you're actually thinking of going, Trav." I wince at the nickname. The truth is, there were some friends I'm kind of dying to see after all this time. It might be awkward, but then again, it'll be my chance to make it clear that Katie's mine, and that I'm taken. And I'm sure some guys will try to get her too, so it'll also help her in her case. 

"Aw, come on, Katie-Kat. Please? I just want to see some people again, and just catch up." 

She thinks about it. "I mean, I don't really care if you do or don't want to go to the party, so whatever, I guess." 

I can tell she doesn't mean that, but I just open up the note. "Alright, it's going to be at the park, here, on the 29th, and dress code is semiformal, whatever that means." 

I hear Katie mumble under her breath, "Semiformal just means that Mikaylah can wear a prom dress and three extra layers of makeup." I laugh. 

"Katie-Kat! I didn't know you had that in you!" She glares at me. 

"Learned it from Annabeth." I nod, and take her hand again. 

"I promise I'll make it up to you. Uh, do you wanna go back home? We can bake something." She nods, and we head back to my house. I can tell Katie is kind of mad about the whole Mikaylah situation, but it'll be fine. 

Hopefully. 

xx

~kat