| Chapter 16 |

~Katie~

I slowly regain consciousness, and realize I'm not on the grass outside. I'm inside. On a couch. 

In Travis's house. Did he find me? Suddenly I remember everything that happened last night, and sit up suddenly, dropping the nectar jar that I was drinking from. That wakes Travis up, who was sleeping on the armchair next to me. 

"Kates! You're up! How are you--" I glare at him. He stops. 

"You." I hiss at him. 

"I swear, Katie-Kat, I didn't do anything-" 

"Don't lie to me!"

"I'm not!!" 

"YES YOU ARE! You're the son of Hermes, for gods's sake! You're an expert liar!" I jump up, my ankle perfectly fine now. It's about 9 in the morning, I can see on a clock. 

"I swear on the river-"

"Don't bother, Travis. You kissed me only to cover up the fact that you kissed Mikaylah. I get it. This relationship was bound to end anyway. I thought you-"

"KATIE! I swear I did nothing-"

"Stop trying to convince me differently. We both know that this is a-" I drop my voice. "-fake relationship, and you had every right, but you didn't have to LIE about it!"

"Oh, so you actually cared about this relationship?" He shoots at me. 

"No! I just played along, and you still owe me. Now you owe me three times. After that whole incident. This is all your fault." 

"IF YOU PLAYED ALONG WHY DO YOU WEAR THE PROMISE RING I GAVE YOU EVERY DAY?!" He explodes at me. 

"I-" I look down, and realize I'm still wearing the ring he gave me. ARGH! I only wore it because it was the only thing I had that proved he cared. "I JUST WORE IT FOR PUBLICITY!" I yell back. 

"Publicity." He scoffs. "You wear it everywhere, Kates. You wear the thing to sleep. Don't try to lie to me. I am, as you said earlier, the son of Hermes, and I can tell you're lying. So give it up, Katie. Tell the truth." 

I just scream, frustrated, and run up to the guest room I'm staying in. I grab a change of clothes and go take a long hot shower. 

As soon as the water hits me, I start crying. Why did I wear the stupid ring every day? UGH! 

I get out and change, and put my hair back up. I sit on the bed, and just then my phone chirps. Piper's tagged me on a post. 

It says, "@katiegardner, you have a lot of explaining to do."

I click on the video, and it shows that someone's recorded what happened last night. The whole incident with me and Mikaylah...and what happened when Travis stood up for me. 

After I watch it, I drop my phone. "Oh, gods..." Travis never did that in the first place. Mikaylah was just lying to me. Why didn't I see that? I'm so stupid. I immediately call Piper, and tell her everything. 

"Well, Katie, your love life seems a lot more complicated than Percy and Annabeth's now, and I didn't think that was possible. Thanks a lot, Mom."