Chapter 2

ZARA

Six months later.

"Zara, are you not supposed to be at Grace's office in twenty minutes?" Jane knocked quietly on the metal door, whispering not to wake Teddy.

I opened the door, finger to my lips as she slipped in, whispering to her that I'd be back soon.

Grace wanted me to go down to sign off paperwork; our release from the respite centre, residing in for the last six months.

I've lost weight, cut my hair, dashed it with golden tones and took a hot bath every night. Cried until my eyes went dry, heaved until I nearly broke a rib and watched as Teddy turned into more of a miniature version of his father.

It broke me.

No one mentions his name.

No one asks me if I'm ok anymore, met with silence.

I don't want to hear his name.

I don't want to be reminded of what I had and lost.

I can't feel the pain that cripples me so much that I lose myself, lose focus on my son and run.

When we got out, we were met with a full recovery team, people in suits, people with cameras, people with their jaws hitting the floor and finally, the crowd of people wanting to see the famous survivors of Mac Dawson.

How did they all know we would be there? Grace had no cell, no radio, nothing. She walked us through tunnels until we came to a hatch, climb up far too many ladders and exited into the sewers.

It was that fucking easy to leave, a path hidden underground in bunkers.

Mac could easily find it and for that reason Grace had it completely sealed off, blocking anyone from entering or exiting the prison ever again.

Grace is quite a powerful woman, not the same one I saw daily, waved at and spent the night with occasionally.

How did she get to the position?

A month after and we still had crowds outside the centre, supporters, protesters and bricks eventually hit the window when the news reported that I was the girlfriend of the late Theo; son of Mac.

It got worse when they found out about Teddy.

I feared for my son's life.

We were moved further away from the walls to a new facility, safer and fewer restrictions, which is a fucking godsend.

I used to sit at the window, staring at the towering walls and wishing it was all a dream.

But, if it was a dream, a nightmare, I wouldn't have met Theo and I wouldn't be sitting with my nearly one-year-old babbling in my ear.

I turned twenty-two a few days ago, a summer garden party was held in the yard in the middle of the facility and everyone cheered for me.

At twenty-two, I have a son, a lost love, a list of friends and family members that no longer walked this earth. My dad didn't stick around, telling me to keep an eye on Grace because he and Theo were suspicious of her, which was crazy, Grace has helped us so much.

He hasn't shown up in my life since.

Jane, the wonderful woman that she is, hasn't left our side. She is like a mother to me and treats Teddy like her own grandson.

I learned a lot about her over these months. Widowed at thirty; cancer. She has five grown-up children who have their own offspring. She can't wait to find them again.