Chapter 11

ZARA

Today is my last shift at the cafe. Taking on some hours for extra cash, and to question Kerr before we fly out to Scotland in three days.

Jane has practically already packed everything, checklists rewrote so many times my trash can is full of paper.

I called Julie as soon as I left Grace's office, telling her to come to my room to talk. She told me that Kerr and I were all over each other, touching, nearly kissing a few times.

She apologized when I told her how I woke in the morning, underwear still missing, bruises everywhere with no damn memory of what happened, and who with.

As she sat cross-legged on my bed, Teddy on her lap, she told me to call Kerr and ask him if we can talk at work, he agreed, sending my heart into a frenzy.

What do I even ask him?

You ask him what the fuck he did to you, Zara!

That's not the only thing playing on my mind, there's an anxiety-triggering problem.

Grace and her slipping up, twice.

Why would she lie?

Do I go to Scotland, start a new life with our son without knowing the truth?

Is the love of my life even dead?

The little voice in my head is screaming all these questions, giving me a migraine, keeping me awake at night.

"What if Grace just got confused?" Jane asked, both of us building a lego house with Teddy.

"My dad would remember seeing my boyfriend dying, Jane. I feel so uneasy staying here now, can we go to a hotel until we leave?"

She shrugged, clapping when Teddy put the last piece on. "We can look when you finish work."

When I got to work, Julie was waiting in the back with me, nervously awaiting Kerr's arrival. "He's already twenty minutes late." She states, staring at the clock.

Hours past, the cafe getting quiet, the sun disappearing while we jump every time we hear the bell. This time Kerr walked in, a burst lip and a smug look. "Ladies."

Luckily, there are no customers in, so it's perfectly acceptable that Julie bounced over the counter and threw a clenched fist straight to his face, knocking his head to the side as he caught himself on the table. "What the fuck?"

"What the fuck did you do to her?"

I took a few steps forward, holding Julie back from hitting him again. "Did I leave with you that night we were out?" I ask, gritting my teeth.

"You left with someone, not me." His brows furrow, wiping his lip on his sleeve. "I'm not like that."

"Bullshit, you were all over her." Julie's chest hits off my back when she tries to go for him again. "Just admit it so I can kick your ass."

Her threats make him chuckle, belly laughing as he takes a few paces back. "You're crazy." He looks to me, eye darkening. "You think I would do that? You left with some guy and went to a hotel, not fucking me."

Alarm bells.

"I didn't mention a hotel," I snap. "Who said I went to a hotel?"

That's enough for Julie to blow, launching a chair at him. "You stay the fuck away from Zara, I mean it!"

"You told us," he raised his hands, eyes meeting mine. "Remember?"

"No," I shove his chest. "What did you do?"