Chapter 3

ZARA

I had a shift nearly every day for last week, longer hours, more money for me to save up.

I made a list of gifts for Teddy's first birthday, handed it to one of the guards along with money. Jane helped me, I didn't have a fucking clue.

What do you even buy a one-year-old?

I took Teddy to the beach along with a few other parents from the centre yesterday, transported by the security coaches and guarded like royalty.

It was strange how we are only part of a respite centre and having so much security.

The parents don't like me either, ruining their days out regularly just by sitting near them.

They requested that our days out were separate.

The world won't fuck off.

I contemplated sneaking back within the walls to get away from it all, get away from all the people thinking I'm a monster and that my son doesn't deserve his life.

It's torture.

So, after a lengthy discussion with Jane and hours of researching the strange country, I requested a relocation to a centre in Scotland.

It got refused.

I appealed.

Refused again.

"Bullshit." I threw the pen down, head in my hands and letting the refusal letter drop to the floor.

"A beautiful woman like you shouldn't be speaking like that." Kerr sat down next to me, lifting up the useless paper and without asking, he reads it. "Scotland?"

I snatch it out his hand, scrunch it up and threw it in the bin next to the revolving doors. "I start in five, refrain from sticking your nose in any more of my business."

He smirks at me, stuffing his hands in his pocket. "Let's go." He followed me out and across the busy road to the cafe.

Kerr was growing on me.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think Grace was trying to set me up or try to help me to forget about Theo by partnering us up constantly. I haven't worked one shift he hasn't been on.

I appreciate it. But, not a fucking chance.

No matter how much we laugh together, catching him staring at me and 'accidentally' rubbing himself against me, he had no chance.

"Can we have that girl's night out this weekend, Zara? Kerr, you should come too." Julie claps her hands when I roll my eyes, smiling at her.

Julie started a few days ago, short, blonde girl with far too many piercings on her ears. She's friendly and ignored the news reports about me, constantly sending me messages to hang out.

It was good to have a female friend again.

"I can't." I lie, "I don't have anyone to stay with Teddy." Another lie, Jane keeps getting at me to go have fun.

It's not that I don't want to have fun, I do. But, I can't set foot in a store without thinking I'm getting evil glares and snarky comments. Jane claims it's all in my head but I don't know.

What would happen in a club full of drunk people?

"What about Jane? She watches him so you can work?" Kerr questions, arched brow.

I never told him that

"How do you know?" I frown, crossing my arms. "When have I ever mentioned Jane?"