Chapter 28

THEO

I remember the first time I ever set eyes on Zara Coulter, the eighteen-year-old with an attitude; I knew I was screwed when I saw how beautiful she was. I refused to get attached and, well, I tried not to. I think I was hooked on her as soon as my lips pressed against hers at the top of that fucking tree.

I fought against every single urge, every wickedly messed-up voice in my head, all to keep her safe from myself. I fell in love with her when I had orders to kill her, to take my gun and blow her brains out, picture it, and show my Dad the proof.

Since I'm lying here with Zara in my arms with my morning wood dangerously close to her, it's safe to say that I succeeded in fighting against those demons.

Life has been pretty fucking chaotic the past six or so years.

I lost my best friend, Alex, and even though I've learned to live with his loss, it doesn't mean I don't think of him nearly every damn day. I got close with Crawford, watched him die in front of me too.

Drew, a lad who was in our group of friends growing up, turned out to be a snake so I killed him.

I tried to save Zara's baby brother from my Dad and failed.

I killed a lot of people in order to keep my family safe, my hands are cursed, something else I've had to learn to live with.

I lost my ex-girlfriend, Cara and she found me years later, only for her to sacrifice herself so I can be reunited with my family.

Our son was kidnapped, we found him, then I lost them both and had to spend months finding my way back to them.

I was forced to watch a horrifying video of Zara and managed to hunt them all down, one by one, and give them an excruciating death.

And now, I haven't got a fucking clue if my son is going to be on the other side of the world, alive or not. I don't get it; Jane and Teddy were contacted the same day they supposedly died, how?

It doesn't add up. Jane and Teddy were in my grandparent's cottage up the highlands, in the middle of fucking nowhere, how could they be found?

I broke down last night, flipped at Thomas, snapped at Julie, and lost myself in Zara.

But I've woken up this morning with my girl in my arms, ready to pack up and leave, second-guessing the strong painful hole in my chest from the potential loss of my son.

I have a new wave of hope, and a lot of it. I refuse to believe anything without solid proof.

Then there's Thomas fucking Edison, the bane of my life, the pain in my arse, and the annoying little shit who told me this morning that he's not coming with us to Scotland. I nearly let loose on him, imagining his head splattered over the kitchen worktops.

I'm not happy about it but I need to respect his decision, even if I did put up an hour-long argument about how it's not safe. If I had a brother missing, I would want to find him too, especially if he's in the arms of Grace. But Thomas was warned off me that he needs to speak to me every day, and if he ignores one message then I'm sending people to drag him to Scotland.

Thomas is keeping the car, so he's dropping us off at the small airport Finn arranged with some private company, we leave in a few hours if Zara ever fucking wakes up from her beauty sleep. I lost count of how many times we lost ourselves in each other last night, and not in a horny bastard type way. We needed it, and my balls definitely did too. So, I get why she's still asleep.

Right now but, I want to lift her up and bend her over in the shower.

I kiss her forehead, easing myself away from her spaghetti arms to get out of the bed, shoving on a pair of boxers from the suitcase, and make my down to get some breakfast, making Zara some toast which she's most likely going to refuse.