Chapter 6

ZARA

Kerr walked me home.

He swayed the whole way, mumbled shit that made no sense, but at least he gave me his jacket.

He will regret that one, I'm covered in dirty water and smell like shit from falling in the tunnel.

I also left my cell in the tunnel, the torch has probably drained my battery by now, but I'm not going anywhere near that place again.

I need to find a way to move on.

If I do, the torture inside my head will stop. I hope.

Kerr let me use his cell to let Jane know I was ok, on route and not to wait up. She panics like a mother. And I treat her like she is mine.

I really do love that woman and she's stuck with me forever.

It's three am now, the streets are empty except for a few drunks and the homeless.

"I'm going to say it because when I'm sober, I can't. I think you are beautiful, really beautiful." He shrugs, giving me a tight smile.

"The beer goggles are working a treat." I laugh, playfully hitting my shoulder off him causing him to stagger to the side.

Oops.

The back and forth banter went on for the next hour, laughing together, enjoying each other's company.

He practically swerved my question on what happened while we were out and told me he didn't have a clue, changing the subject onto Julie's new fuck buddy.

She has so many I've lost count.

Kerr stopped me at the front gates, just before I swiped my card to get through the barrier.

He stepped forward, shocking me when his hand found my hip under the jacket, sending a strange feeling rocketing through me, not a good feeling like I used to get with Theo.

The touch from Kerr is far too foreign.

It isn't Theo's rough hand against the bare skin of my hip, but a soft one that I don't enjoy. It isn't Theo's thumb that starts to caress the skin as he steps forward, putting a free hand against the metal fence behind me with a thud.

I flinched when his face got closer, dipping his head to my level. "Kerr, stop," I begged him, placing a hand on his chest to stop his advances.

"Why?" He looked almost hurt, not pulling back but freezing in place, nose nearly touching mine.

There are small lights along the walls that only just illuminates us, even in the near darkness I can see his furrow brows.

"I'm not ready," I admit, staring at the ground.

I'm not and I can't be sure I ever will be.

When I looked up I can see how bloodshot his eyes are, heavy.

"Is this about Theo?" He straightens, dropping his hand from my hip.

I let my lungs fill again.

I don't speak.

"Ok," he stood back after a long pause, giving me space. "I'll see you at work tomorrow." He slurred, falling to the side, his knees buckling.

How can he be fine one minute and falling about the next?

"Will you get home ok?" I asked. "You can come in and sleep on the couch until you sober up."

"Good shout." He replied, following behind me as I swipe in, letting his arm hang over me when he loses his footing.

Have I ever taken someone home with me? No.

Have I ever been around someone so drunk? Yes, Theo. It resulted in him on top of me.

Will Jane kick my ass? Yes.

No, Jane will kill me.

Shit, I'll kill me.

This is just me being friendly. He has no chance of getting home safely and the next best option is letting him sleep on Jane's sofa while I lay in her bed.

I wasn't taking someone so fucked up into the same room as my son, nope.

I watch him as he takes his top off, settling it aside and kicking his shoes off. I should look away and give him his privacy, but I'm not staring at him in a way that I want him.

I want to know what his deal is.

Right? I'm not allowed to look at another man in that sort of way.

My ex has only been dead for six months.

I'm not interested in Kerr, why would I be?

But why am I comparing him to Theo so much?

He has no ink, some indents of muscle but nothing impressive and his chest is matted with hair.

He is the total opposite of Theo.

"Can I sleep in my boxers?" He snaps me from my gaze. I nod, hitting the lamp off and ignoring the sound of his trousers hitting the floor.

I fell asleep fast and didn't wake until I heard banging against the door.

Kerr was gone, leaving me a note next to the bed thanking me.

Stop smiling, Zara.

"Zara?" Jane yells, banging the door more and I'm pretty sure she just kicked it.

"Yeah!" I called out, clearing up the cushions on the sofa and making her bed.

I swung the door open and I was correct, she is going to kill me.

She lectured me for the next hour, raising her voice the way my mom used to and I'm sure she wanted to slap me when I mentioned Kerr staying over.

"Please tell me you didn't sleep with that man in my bed?" She growled at me, claws at the ready.

"You think I'd do that?"

She raised a brow and I knew what was coming. "I watched you string along two men at the same time. Yes, you are capable."

I deserved that.

After bathing Teddy, reading him his books and laying with him until he fell asleep, I head for my late shift.

Three hours with Kerr won't be too awkward, ignoring the fact he tried to fucking kiss me.

Grace sent me a message that I need to see her when I'm finished, paperwork to sign and congratulated me for being ready to sign off.

We're going to be free, altogether.

Grace has helped us so much, putting a roof over our heads feeding us, getting me a job and caring for our mental health while we slowly adapted to the normal world again.

I can't thank her enough.

I know exactly where we will be going after Grace hands us our new identities, new passports and a new life.

Straight to where he came from.

"I'm sorry about last night." Kerr scratched the back of his head, red-faced. "I left as soon as I woke."

"I saw your note." I smiled, handing a customer their fries.

The shift has been easy so far, quiet and peaceful.

I emptied trays in the back, wiping off the crumbs and settling them next to the large sink. I heard the footsteps behind me and closed my eyes, feeling him close behind me.

When I turned, he didn't give me a second to take a breath before cupping my cheeks and shoving me against the wall.

"Kerr..."

He cut me off when his lips crash down against mine.

-OLD VERSION-UNEDITED