Chapter 15

ZARA

"Theo?"

I took a step back, hugging our son to my chest, searching his face, looking into his eyes for any sign of his dad infiltrating his mind, sending him to attack us.

He looks hurt by my actions, his brows furrowed, confused. He slowly pulls down his hood, slipping his cap off so I can see all of him. "Don't be scared of me, Zara, please."

I can't fucking breathe.

"How do I know it's actually you?"

I sound like an idiot, but it's not only my life I'm risking if his dad got ahold of him, tortured him, drugged him, and finally turning him into the sociopathic killer, finally finishing what he started.

He raised both hands, stepping forward but I take two steps back, hearing my heart thumping in my ears, sweating.

I should be jumping into his arms right now, and I want to, but what if he isn't okay? What if he takes that opportunity to kill us both? Succeeding Mac's diabolic plan to end me for some fucking reason.

Is Mac watching us now?

"If you weren't holding our son, I'd drag you into the bushes and show you it's really me. I mean..." he shrugs, tilting his head over his shoulder. "...we have someone right over there if you want him to babysit for..." He looks at his wrist. "Yeah, I'd probably last a minute. It's been months since I fucked your brains out."

"Oh my god," I whisper, allowing the tears to build up quickly and fall. "You're alive."

Shaking my head in disbelief, unable to control the millions of thoughts in my head, emotions switching from happy to excitement, nervous to confusion.

He smirks, moving towards me until his arms wrap around the two of us, my face in his chest, one hand deep in my hair, kissing the top of my head repeatedly and I can feel his chest shaking, hugging me tighter.

"I found you." His voice breaks, laying his cheek on my head.

The feeling is indescribable, one I never thought I'd ever have again. Theo is here and he's fucking hugging me, I feel the warmth of his hard chest on my cheek, not the cold soft pillow from my bed.

I grasp onto the back of his top tightly, as if he could vanish at any second, breathing in his scent, the same one I imagined for months. He's taller than I remember though, reaching the middle of his chest. His heartbeat is rattling, rippling against my ear.

We stayed like this for minutes, maybe hours, who the fuck knows, until Theodore started squirming about to get free.

Theo pulled back, his hand still in my hair, pulling to tip my head back and his lips land on mine, both inhaling sharply, breaking away seconds later, kissing me again, harder.

"Look at the size of you," he says, releasing me to hold his hands out to Theodore, a massive smile covers both faces when he jumps into his dad's arms.

If I could die from my heart exploding, now would be the time.

Theodore doesn't go to strangers, he runs away from Julie most of the time too. So seeing him accept Theo so easily just shows the unbreakable bond of family, the powerful connection.

I smile proudly, hand over my mouth while I watch Theo and our son, avoiding the wandering stares of our surroundings.

My hand rubs Theo's back when I see he's crying, sitting himself down at the bench and rocks forward and back, cradling the son that he was ripped away from, from the very beginning.