Quarantine Series Part 6

You woke up the morning after the party to Alex spooning you from behind, his arm is laying limply around you. You slowly moved his arm and got up from the bed, trying your best not to wake him. You looked over and saw him peacefully sleeping. You felt affection swell in you, and since there was no one there to witness it, you just let yourself feel it for the first time in a while. You smiled softly and then leaned over to kiss him on the forehead. He stirred slightly before rolling over and going back to sleep. You very quickly gathered your things and opened the bedroom door, checking that no one was out to witness you before you ran out the door.

You just barely had enough time to go home and change before you went back to work. You felt your phone buzz a few times, but you refused to look at it. You had realized that you cared for Alex way more than you had previously realized, and it scared you. You thought that if you could just avoid him for a little while that maybe some of your feelings might fade and everything could stay the way that it was between the two of you. You were able to avoid him for a while, and after a day or two, he stopped texting you.

A week or so after the party, you were enjoying a Wednesday night off in your room with a bottle of wine and a romcom on Netflix. Seeing all the successful relationships in the movie was making you long for a relationship or really anything to make you less lonely, and the wine surely wasn't helping. You moped your way through the movie and then started another one. You were a little tipsy and had completely forgotten about how you were feeling. You were properly relaxed, about half a bottle deep and just reaching the good part of the movie. You noticed your phone was dying and went to plug your phone into your charger, but just as you plugged it in you saw that you were getting a phone call.

Usually, you don't answer the phone unless it's a family member or the person texted you first, but for whatever reason, this time you answered the phone. You didn't even bother checking to see caller ID.

"Hello?" you said into the receiver. No one answered right away, so you repeated yourself.

"Heeeyyyy, it's y/n!" you heard Alex's voice. He sounded absolutely trashed, his words all slurred together and the tone of his voice a certain level of delirious happiness that only substance abuse can achieve.

"Alex, are you drunk?"

"What? Noooo"

"You are. You sound totally wasted."

"Fine. You caught me. I just had to call you, though."

"What? Why?"

"Well, you haven't been texting me and stuff and....and...uh...and I miss you."

"You do?'

"Yeah...I kinda love you."

"Alex, are you gonna remember any of this tomorrow?"

"Of course I will!"

"I'm sure you will."

He kept going on and on about nothing for an hour or so, but you were only half listening. None of what he was saying made that much sense anyways. You think he may have been recapping an entire season of a show he was watching, but he was all over the place. After a good 20 minutes you told him you had to go and went back to your night in, not knowing what might happen in the morning.