Twins Part 3 (Final Part)

It had been about a week since you moved into your apartment, and you finally felt settled in. Your new job was great and very rewarding, though a bit stressful at times, and you got along with your roommates fairly well, though you had no intention of becoming friends with them. You and Alex had been texting fairly often, sending each other the occasional meme or silly question. Your feelings for him were getting stronger with this virtual closeness. Your heart leaped every time your phone buzzed, hoping that it was him, and you couldn't wait to finally see him again.

You had just clocked out when you got a notification. It was Alex.

Hey, i just had a gr8 idea 4 the video

Really? What's up?

We should film it @ ur place and then have a house warming party

Oh, I don't know. I'd have to ask my roommates.

You were nervous about the idea of a party, especially a party where you live. You can't really go home early from a party at your own house. Not only that, but you really didn't want to ask your roommates for anything. The idea of asking them right after you moved in made you very anxious. You knew that technically all they could do was say no, but even that seemed soul-crushing. You waited a few minutes before you texted Alex again,

They said no :(

Ok, maybe we can just do something 2gether then?

Like as a group?

I was thinking just us

You shouldn't have been so surprised that he wanted to hang out just the two of you. It's not like you hadn't been alone together before. However, this time it felt different. You didn't know if it was wishful thinking or a true gut feeling, but this felt more like there was more to it than just two friends meeting up. You hoped you were right but were so nervous you convinced yourself that you were reading too much into it.

Ya, sure. What were you thinking?

A surprise. I can meet u at ur place after filming

Sounds good

Around mid-afternoon, everyone jumped on discord. Even after quarantine had ended, they had decided to keep their "discord university," and this time you were to be a special guest. They had you set up in the presentation room with them. Since you knew no one could really see you, it was a lot easier to be comfortable and enter into a more performative version of your personality. You were pleasantly surprised by how much you enjoyed filming the video. You had imagined it to be a lot more daunting than it actually was. You enjoyed it so much that you even agreed to be in another Eboys video at some point. James was sure the fans would love you, but you thought he might be a little biased.

As soon as the filming ended, you got a little more dressed up and touched up your makeup a bit. You weren't certain whether this was a date or not, and you didn't want to seem overdressed though you still wanted to look a little nicer than usual. A few minutes later, Alex knocked on your door. Your heart leaped as soon as you heard him, and your stomach filled with butterflies. You told yourself there was nothing to be nervous about. That this was just two friends hanging out, something you had done plenty of times before, but something in the back of your mind just wasn't convinced.

You opened the door and your eyes locked with Alex's almost immediately. You felt heat rush to your face. Eye contact just felt so intimate, but with Alex, it was so much worse. You quickly looked away, but your eyes were drawn back to him. Alex looked just about as nervous as you felt, making the doubt in the back of your mind that much harder to ignore. "So, what's the plan?" you asked, breaking the charged silence.

"It's a surprise," he said. "C'mon."

You locked the door behind you and followed Alex down the street and into an Uber. It was still fairly light outside despite it being late afternoon. You sat in the car for a while, watching buildings whizz past you. You made a point not to look at Alex-you didn't want to end up staring again-but you were able to sneak a few glances without him noticing. Finally, the car stopped at the top of a grassy hill. You got out and thanked the driver before taking a look at where you were. There were a few cement pathways in the hill leading down it, making the walk down considerably less steep and difficult. At the bottom of the hill was a beach with a pier to your left as well as some shops and eventually more town. On the beach was the real surprise. A full-blown fair with rides, games, and food.

"What do you think?" Alex asked. "Worth the drive?"

"Oh, definitely," you said, looking down at the beach again.

The two of you walked down the hill and made your way into the fair. You made a bee-line for the games and paid the guy a couple of bucks to do the ring toss. After you failed to get a single ring on a bottle, you moved over to the racing game with the squirt guns. Alex sat down next to you at the other squirt gun, and the two of you raced. You ended up winning and were very excited.

"I won!" you shouted, jumping up from your seat. "Ha!"

"No need to rub it in my face," Alex said.

The kid behind the counter asked you which prize you wanted. Since you only played once, you could only pick from the "small prizes," so you couldn't get any of the giant stuffed animals. You ended up choosing a purple teddy bear. You showed the bear to Alex and stuck your tongue out at him, rubbing it in his face again.

"Alright, alright," Alex chuckled. "You hungry?"

You nodded. You found the food stalls on the corner and stood in line together for funnel cake. When you got to the front of the line, Alex ordered first. You were too busy practicing ordering in your head to notice that Alex had ordered and paid for your funnel cake until he turned around with one in each hand. You were surprised and again the thought that maybe this was a date grew a little louder and harder to ignore.

After you had eaten, Alex suggested that you go on the ferris wheel. The line was fairly long, so by the time you actually go on, the sun was starting to set. The man working the ferris wheel made sure you were clipped in properly, and you started going around. You so badly wanted to do something, and after a little arguing with yourself, you decided to be a little brave. You took in a deep breath before scooting reaching out your hand and placing it on top of Alex's which had been resting between you two on the bench. His hand was warm and soft. You felt your heartbeat speed up, but nothing beat the feeling of finally touching Alex. He didn't pull his hand away, and he didn't say anything either. You shyly looked over at him to see how he reacted, but his face was unreadable.

The ride started to slow down as you reached the top. You looked out at the sky in front of you-hundreds of shades of gold and orange and pink melting together behind the ocean and again in its reflection. The ride came to a stop when you finally reached the highest point of the ferris wheel. You took in another deep breath before deciding you just had to know what was going on.

"Hey, Alex?" you started. He turned to look at you, and your eyes locked again. It threw you off for a moment. You thought to yourself that it wasn't fair for him to be so pretty. It made it all that much harder. You took another breath and were about to ask him what was going on when you felt his hand cup your face. It was so gentle as if he thought he might break you just by touching you. You felt yourself become overwhelmed by emotion and a little paralyzed with fear over the intensity of it and what to do about it. Luckily, you didn't have to do anything. Alex tilted your face towards his and kissed you, passionately yet gently, and the ferris wheel started moving again. Neither of you had to say anything. That kiss said everything you needed to say.

End of Twins Series