Willne X Memeulous (angst)

Prompt: 3."We're not just friends and you fucking know it"

Everyone was going to the mall just to do something. It had been ages since any of them had actually gone outside, and there was a store closing that was having an "Everything Must Go" sale that was promising enough to coax them out of their respective hermit caves. It was all going fine until they had sat down for a bite to eat, treating themselves to an actual restaurant this time. This allowed for a lot more talking than just looking around shops had, which also meant it allowed for them to annoy each other more as well. As soon as they sat down, Will and George and sat next to each other and everyone knew they were in for an irritating time.

Will and George's constant joking flirting was getting to be too much, and their friends were getting tired of it. All of them had very joking friendships and while they would all occasionally flirt as a joke, it was different when Will and George would do it. There was genuine tension there, not to mention they were flirting all the time. Everyone could see that they were very clearly into each other, but both of them were completely clueless. Neither of them realized that the other liked them, but while Will was fully aware of his crush on George, George hadn't even come to terms with his own feelings for Will yet. However, these feelings wouldn't stay unexamined for long.

The waitress came over and took everyone's orders, but before she left, she looked at George and Will who had been holding hands as part of their joke flirting and then never let go. She said, "You two are such a cute couple, by the way."

George immediately turned red with embarrassment and yanked his hand away from Will's. Simultaneously, they responded.

"Thanks," Will smiled.

"Oh, no, we're just friends," George's voice was shaky and he spoke too quickly. He was clearly very uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as the waitress. Will and George looked at each other, both confused and a little upset. The waitress took a step back and slowly moved away from the table before turning and walking to the kitchen as quickly as possible. Everyone else at the table exchanged looks. They had been waiting for someone to force them to address their obvious feelings, and they were so glad it hadn't been one of them, though they weren't thrilled to have been there when it happened.

"Did you think we were-" George started.

"Well, no, but I didn't think we were friends either," Will replied.

"Of course we're just friends! I'm not gay. It was just like a joke. A bit or whatever," George seemed to be trying to convince himself more than anyone else.

"We're not just friends, and you fucking know it!" Will shouted. He realized how loud he was being and suddenly became very aware of the scene he was making. Some tables weren't even being sneaky about watching them, staring at the boys with wide, curious eyes. Will got up to leave, "Enjoy your lunch."

After Will left, they all sat in silence. George wasn't gay, or at least, he didn't think he was. He'd had girlfriends in the past, though they never stayed together for very long. Sure, the feelings always felt forced, but that's just what romance is like. His ex's always claimed that George was confused and they hoped he "figured himself out." But that didn't make him gay, did it? He'd never been with a man, especially not Will. He had thought about it, though. He was thinking about it now. What it would be like to be with Will- to be his, to kiss him, to hold his hand, to sleep next to him, to sleep with him. Maybe he was gay. NO. No, he couldn't be. Everyone thought about men like that. It didn't make him gay. The silence was broken by the slurping of a straw. George was the first to speak.

"I'm not gay," he said. His friends didn't seem too convinced.

"George-" Alex started, his voice soft with pity and care.

"No! No. I'm not gay, Alex," George said, though even he didn't believe it anymore. "But what if-what if I was? Hypothetically. Like, what would that mean for me?"

"If you were to be gay. Hypothetically. Then it wouldn't change anything about you," Alex said. "If you were gay, then you would've always been gay. Nothing would be different about you as a person except that maybe you would be happier now that you've finally accepted yourself."

"Hypothetically," George added.

"Hypothetically," Alex nodded.

George thought about what Alex had said for a moment before reaching into his pocket for a few bills. He set them down on the table for the waitress and said, "I think I need to go do something."

George ran to the food court. He figured Will would be there since he hadn't been able to eat. He saw Will sitting at a table near the photo booth with a soft pretzel, hunched over looking at his phone. George stood in the small gap between the table and the photo booth. Will looked up at him, his eyes filled with hurt.

"Um, hi, Will," George started awkwardly, not knowing exactly how to do this. "Could I, uh, talk to you?"

"Why? Didn't hurt my feelings enough last time?" Will refused to break eye contact when he stood up, ready to make another scene. George took a step back, pressing his back up against the booth and craning his neck a little to still see Will's face when he was so close. "C'mon. Out with it, George. What did you come looking for me for?"

George looked around and saw how many people were around. While he wanted to tell Will, he didn't want all these strangers to know. "Could we, um, could we talk in private?"

Will leaned in and reached around George to open the curtain for the photo booth. He jerked his head, gesturing for George to step inside. He did, and Will followed. There was barely enough room for the two of them to stand next to each other.

"Will, I'm sorry. You were right. I am...I mean, I do...um, I mean, I, uh..." George was suddenly very aware of how close they were to each other, practically every part of him touching some part of Will. Will was staring at him intently, waiting to hear what George had to say, though some part of him already knew what it was. "Will, I think I love you."

"You what?"

"I'm so sorry that I hurt your feelings, and I understand if you don't-"

At that moment Will grabbed a fistful of George's shirt and pulled him closer, though that didn't seem possible, and his lips crashed into George's. Recovering from the initial surprise, George kissed him back, shyly at first and then with all the passion he had been suppressing for so long. Will took a pause, resting his forehead against George's. He whispered breathily, "I love you, too. God, I've been waiting so long to say that."