18 | Second Chance

Maria

             "Thank you," I thank the nurse when she explained everything and then gave me a discharge plan as I hold my baby in my arms.

The nurse nods with a smile, walking out of the room when Doctor Lilith came in to see me. She looks so fresh and neat, like she has no worries at all. Unlike me, I look like a mess and feel terrible to be honest. I haven't had a good night's sleep in awhile since Camila got sick. I have eye bags and I look so haggard.

"Finally going home, huh," Lilith smiled kindly at me and I return the smile, rocking Camila in my arms to sleep.

"Yes," I say, "Thank you for taking care of her."

Lilith gave me warm smile, putting her hands in her white coat's pocket, "No need to thank me. I became a doctor to help everyone I can get well."

I pick up the bag I brought here and then turned to her, "Good bye."

Walking out of the room, I went to the station to pay the debt, feeling tired and weak. I hope the bill isn't too high, because if it is, I will be so broke. I couldn't wait to go home and relax better. My back is killing me. 

"Your bill has been paid," The Nurse at the station told me with a smile. 

I look at her confused, "Sorry?"

"Someone has paid for it already, Maam." 

"Who?" I ask politely, wondering who would pay for our hospital fees. 

"She didn't give her name, Ma'am. This was paid yesterday," The Nurse checked. 

Someone paid for us, who could it be? 

"How does she look like?" I ask curiously, wanting to thank this angel for helping us through this hard time. The nurse makes a thinking face, describing this woman, "I've seen her on a magazine once. Black hair, green eyes...There was a guy with her and he called her Lady Dragon."

"Lady Dragon?" I said, never heard of that before. 

***

After placing Camila in her crib, I took a seat by the window with a sigh as I rub my neck. Its currently 11:30 in the morning and Bryce should be back for lunch later. It wasn't easy for him to find a job after what we've been through in the past, but luckily he was able to find one. The pay wasn't much, but it was able to get us food and pay for this shitty place. I want to find a job soon so Bryce doesn't have to stress to much. 

Even though I was tired, I stood up and went to prepare lunch. There wasn't much in the fridge. I cooked what I could with what we have: chicken soup and rice. I set the table and smile happily when the door opens and the love of my life comes home, loosening up his tie. Standing up, I go and kiss him on the lips. 

"I missed you guys," Bryce sighed into my neck when I pull him into a hug. "Where's our baby girl?"

"Sleeping," I pull back, leading him to the table. "Let's eat. How was work?"

"Tiring," He smiles tiredly. Bryce works as a barista at this club where many rich people go. I know how hard it was for him to work there. People who knew him looked down on him and sometimes made his life at work terrible, but its the only place that he could work at for now. 

"Someone paid for Camila's hospital bills," I told him. Thought he should know. 

He looks at me surprised, "Really? Who was it?"

I shrug, "I don't know. Nurse said she was called Lady Dragon."

He looks at me but doesn't say anything. We  both eat in silence and then I heard Camila crying so I go pick her up. She's hungry so I breastfed her, starting to feel very sleepy. Bryce comes up behind me, smiling down at our little princess. "Let me hold her while you rest." Smiling at him, I let him hold our baby while I go to finally take a rest that I needed so bad.