sixteen

chaeyoung chuckled at jisoo, playfully rolling her eyes

chaeyoung chuckled at jisoo, playfully rolling her eyes. this girl always had so much to share and it had only been a week since the last time they saw each-other. it was weird how one could have so much to tell in the spawn of a week. the most interesting thing she had done that week was skip class, but jisoo had done way more than that.

the older girl was already on her fifth story, when chaeyoung finally finished her tea. her eyes wandered over to the view outside, nodding at jisoo's words, even though her mind was slowly tuning them out. jisoo sometimes had the tendency to get too excited and talk for hours on end and while chaeyoung loved hearing her stories, at times, it was too much for her. as introvert, hearing someone talk endlessly would make her feel drained. it was weird to her, since she was studying to become a psychologist and since she would have to sit down and listen to patients talk, almost without breathing, but it still exhausted her and sometimes, while jisoo talked, her mind would unconsciously wander elsewhere and tune out the older's words.

it was raining once again outside, slight mist coating the city landscape. the drops of water fell on the glass, tapping out a peculiar little tune and bringing a sense of tranquility into chaeyoung. rain always made her feel this way, calm, composed and quiet, but at times, it brought a sense of longing, making her want something she couldn't put a finger on. other times, it made her recall the image of jennie sitting on that bench in the midst of rain with hollow eyes. . .it was fascinating how someone with such empty eyes could turn into someone who hold so much life and mischief in them. kim jennie had been a mystery since the very beginning, but ever since her last encounter with the girl, it had only gotten more and more complicated. she was an enigma and it somehow intrigued chaeyoung. somewhere amidst the mist, she expected the girl to stand there in the rain and. . .she wasn't wrong. she could easily recognize the girl's silhouette and she was standing outside, leaning on a motorcycle while the rain had completely drenched her from head to toe. chaeyoung's eyes widened at the sight and she didn't know how she know found herself standing in front of the girl, holding an umbrella above their heads. jennie's hair was stuck to her face, her jeans and shirt completely soaked and her leather jacket shining from the thin layer of water resting on it. she looked like a mess and her eyes were completely empty, nearly hollow - and it was hard for chaeyoung to make out any sign of life in them. slowly, they moved, scanning chaeyoung from her toes to her head, until they met hers. those once deep caramel pools were now shallow and nearly empty and it made chaeyoung want to take a step back.

"what are you doing here, little mermaid? come to save me from my misery?" she asked, voice void of any emotion. chaeyoung could tell those words were meant to be playful, since jennie would often tease her like this, but it scared her how robotic her voice came out. "why aren't you saying anything? are you another of my hallucinations? are you here to tell me i'm worthless? because i already know that."

chaeyoung's eyes softened at that. "i'm real. i'm not a hallucination." she mumbled in response, chewing on her lower lip afterwards. she was trying her best not to label her with a mental disorder, since she didn't know enough, but her brain was already screaming depression.

"oh," was all that left jennie's lips, before she slowly reached out to touch her. chaeyoung held her breath when jennie's ice cold hand landed on her cheek, caressing it softly. she saw something swirl within her eyes and slowly, life returned in them. her lips stretched into a teasing smile, eyes glistening with mischief. "third time's a charm. are you sure this isn't fate, or are you following me around?"

the jennie she knew was back. but how? how could ones eyes look so. . .dead and lifeless and then all of a sudden, look full of life?

chaeyoung took a step back, jennie's hand no longer on her face. she didn't know what to feel, she didn't know what to make of the whole situation. it was as if her mind had shut down and she didn't know how to deal with it.

jennie's hand fell limp, looking slightly offended and hurt, but she didn't voice them out. she looked down at the ground beneath her feet as if thinking of what to say.

"so what are you doing here?"

"i could ask you the same," chaeyoung mumbled under her breath, which caused the brunette to chuckle.

"answering a question with a question, interesting. but to answer, i gave a ride to a friend."

she only nodded in response, eyes wandering around. "i was with a friend. . ." she answered, not knowing whether she should pry in or not and ask her about why she felt she was worthless, but at the same time, last time she mentioned something about her private life got her kicked out, so she didn't know if that was right to do.

jennie pushed her wet hair back, looking at chaeyoung dead in the eye. "do you have any plans now?" she asked, lips stretching into a smile as if an idea just came to her. "want to ride with me?"
__________

should chaeyoung accept jennie's offer?