𝑺𝒊𝒙

Chapter Six,
Suicide Mission

"So, is that all there is? You're just gonna walk away? Screw everybody else?" Chloe, who had just woken up and emerged from her tent, caught the sound of Shane's voice.

"I'm not saying to hell with anybody... Not you Shane," Rick replied.

"Especially not Lori. Make sure she knows that."

"She's aware."

"Listen, um... I don't understand, alright, Rick? So, could you just... Can you throw me a bone here? Can you explain why? Why would you put your life on the line for a douchebag like Merle Dixon?" Shane inquired.

"Hey, watch your words," Daryl's voice interjected, the memories of the previous day flooding back into Chloe's thoughts. That was the last person she wanted to hear.

"No, I chose my words deliberately. Douchebag's what I meant. Merle Dixon... The guy wouldn't offer you a sip of water even if you were dying of thirst."

"What he would or wouldn't do doesn't interest me

"What he would or wouldn't do doesn't interest me. I can't let a man die of thirst...Thirst and exposure. We left him like an animal caught in a trap. That's no way for anything to die, let alone a human being," Rick reasoned.

"So, you and Daryl, that's your grand plan?" Lori inquired, prompting Rick to shift his gaze to Glenn, who let out a reluctant groan. "Oh, come on!"

"You're familiar with the route

"You're familiar with the route. You've been there before... In and out, piece of cake. You said so yourself. I understand it might not be fair for me to ask... I acknowledge that. However, I'd feel much more secure if you were with us. She would too," Rick explained to him.

"Well, that's just fantastic. Now you're willing to put three men on the line, huh?" Shane retorted.

"Four," T-Dog chimed in, stepping forward, which earned a huff of annoyance from Daryl. "My day keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?" he muttered.

"You see anybody else here stepping up to save your brother's cracker ass?" T-Dog challenged.

"Why ya?" Daryl inquired.