𝑭𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝑵𝒊𝒏𝒆

Chapter Forty-Nine,
Good People

"Are we close?" Chloe inquired of Daryl.

"Almost finished," he replied.

"How do you know?"

"The signs are all there. You just need to know how to read them."

"What are we tracking?"

"You tell me. You're the one eager to learn."

"Well, something passed through here. The pattern is all zig-zaggy. It's a walker."

"Maybe it's just a tipsy one," he quipped, making her chuckle.

"I'm getting good at this. Pretty soon I won't need you at all."

"Yeah, keep on trackin'."

"Careful, your tracking skills might lead us into darkness soon," Merle teased.

"Quiet," Chloe whispered.

"Are you telling me to be quiet, girl?" Merle chimed in.

"Shhh, walker. It's armed," Chloe said, aiming her bow as she cautiously approached. Fortunately, she stumbled over a trap, tripped, and fell, getting her boot stuck. This attracted the walker's attention. She aimed for its head, but her arrow hit its neck, and it continued moving toward her. Daryl acted fast, taking it down with his crossbow. Chloe sat there, trying to free her foot.

"Let me help you," Merle crouched down, carefully freeing her foot from the trap. Her sturdy boots protected her from more damage.

"Can you move it?" Daryl gently asked, assessing her ankle.

"Yeah, I'm okay."

"Come on," he offered his hand, helping her to her feet. "Can you walk?"

"Yeah, I think so." He placed his arm around her, and they continued their search.

"Can we... Can we take a short break?" Chloe requested, her foot sore from all the walking.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, just a strain. I need to sit down for a bit."

"Alright. Hang on," he handed Merle his crossbow. "Hop on."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, consider this a serious piggyback. Get on," Chloe chuckled, jumping onto his back. "You're heavier than you look."

"Maybe there are people there," Beth speculated.

"Yeah, if there are, Merle and I will handle them," Daryl stated.

"There are still good people, Daryl," Chloe affirmed.

"I'm not so sure the good ones survive," he responded.

They passed by a cemetery, and a tombstone caught Chloe's eye.

'Beloved Mother'

She climbed down from Daryl's back, making him stop.

"What now? Are we going to pay respects to every buried person here?" Merle teased.

"Enough, Merle," Beth scolded.

Chloe stood there, looking at the tombstone. She wished she'd had the chance to properly bury her mom, to have a place to visit. Daryl seemed to understand, picking up a flower and placing it on the tombstone before standing beside her. She hesitated but then held his hand, and he held it tightly.

"Let's keep moving," he motioned for her to climb back on.