𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝑶𝒏𝒆

Chapter Thirty One,
The Villain

CHLOE CROUCHED next to Daryl, her eyes focused on Rick who was positioned in front of them. They were huddled behind a car parked outside the walls of Woodbury, staying out of sight. Three guards stood watch, projecting a beam of light across the street.

The woman who had brought them there had suddenly walked away, leaving them all alone. "Hey. Hey! Hey! Damn it," Rick whispered, trying to catch her attention, but to no avail. "All right, we need to downsize."

"Ain't no way we're gonna check in all them buildings, not with all them guards there," Daryl said, analyzing the situation. Rick handed Chloe a pistol.

Something shuffled behind them, causing them all to turn around and find the woman back with them.

"All right, let's go," Rick whispered, nodding.

The woman led them into a room. "This is where you were held?" Rick asked her.

"I was questioned," she replied.

"Any idea where else they could be?" Rick asked.

"I thought you said there was a curfew," Daryl said, looking outside the window that Chloe was standing beside. There were people, and it seemed like life was going on there.

"The street is packed during the day," the woman explained. "Those are stragglers."

"If anyone comes in here, we're sitting ducks," Rick said. "We gotta move."

"They could be in his apartment," the woman told them.

"Yeah? What if they ain't?" Daryl asked, approaching her.

"Then we'll look somewhere else," she spat.

"You said you could help us," Rick said.

"I'm doing what I can," she answered.

"Then where in the hell are they?" Oscar asked.

"Hey, if this goes south, we're cutting her loose," Chloe heard Rick whisper to the others as the woman turned away.

"You think she's leading us into a trap?" Oscar asked.

"Right now, it's the blind leading the blind," Daryl told him. "Let's split up."

Before they could make their next move, the door was unlocked, and someone entered the room. Rick pulled Chloe back as they all hid, ready to attack.

"I know you're in here. I saw you moving from outside. All right, now. You're not supposed to be in here, and you know it." It was a male voice, and it was growing closer. "Who's in here?"

"Shut up," Rick jumped out of his hiding place with the gun aimed at the man, while Daryl moved closer, ready to tie him up. "Get on your knees. Hands behind your back. Zip tie him."

"Where are our people?" Rick asked him.

"I don't know."

"You are holding some of our people. Where the hell are they?"

"I don't know."

"Open your mouth," Rick said as he inserted a piece of cloth in his mouth.

"Okay, now what?" Chloe asked Rick.

Suddenly they heard gunshots from nearby, causing them all to duck.

"Shots came from there," Daryl said.