𝑭𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓

Chapter Forty Four,
Remorse

DARYL HAD tried to control himself, hold himself back from what he was used to doing. He was dreadfully afraid he might go too far and cause her to start back in revulsion and terror and the moment he saw her lying there splayed out, staring at the ceiling, motionless except for the heavy raising and falling of her chest his dread became real. She was having an asthma attack and she hadn't tried to stop him.

It was silly how it all ended. From arguing about her not stopping him to her asking about his scars, a chain of events ended with Chloe rushing out of the watchtower back to the prison at past 3 AM.

The topic of the scars seemed to set him off as he lashed out at her angrily with his words that cut like swords. She should've known better, men like him could never commit. It was just a one-night stand and the thought made her more angry.

Her angry tears were running down her face uncontrollably, she tried, but couldn't stop them.

He used her. He kept her on a leash all this time when she thought they had something special, thinking something might finally happen. It did, only to prove her wrong. They had nothing. He just enjoyed toying with her.

"Chloe?" Glenn's voice startled her. He shouldn't have seen her like that, in that mess.

"Why are you awake?" she whispered not wanting to wake up anyone else, especially Rick. She had left her watch duty and she was sure he would question her if he woke up and she wasn't ready to explain why.

"Couldn't sleep, what's wrong? Aren't you supposed to be on watch duty tonight?" he whispered back.

"Yeah, yeah, I do, I just don't feel well."

"Daryl is still up there?"

"Yeah," Chloe replied trying her best not to react to hearing his name.

"What happened?"

"Nothing."

"Hey look at me, you can tell me anything, trust me it'll make you feel better," he whispered as he stood up approaching her. "What happened?"

"I don't wanna talk about it, I'll be fine. I'll just go take a shower and try to get some sleep, if Rick asks tell him that I wasn't feeling well."

"I'll cover your shift. If you want anything you know where to find me," Glenn said leaving Chloe on her own. He didn't want to press on whatever was bothering her any further.

Chloe walked back to her cell after a quick shower to find her mom awake.

"Are feeling better?" Chloe asked her.

Everyone was released from quarantine after starting their treatment.

"Yeah, a lot better," Angie said. "Why weren't you on watch?"

"I was, just left early, didn't feel good."

"Why didn't you wake me up, sweetie?"

"Hey," Adam said as he walked in. "Tom is in his cell room sleeping, I'm going out to see if Dad and Hershel need anything. Where's Cody?"

"In his cell room," Chloe told him before walking out. "I was just gonna go check on him."

"Codes?" Chloe said as she entered her brother's cell. She found him laying in his bed, eyes closed, but upon hearing her voice he opened them abruptly. "You want anything?"