𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝑻𝒘𝒐

Chapter Thirty Two,
Siblings

DARYL UNDERSTOOD that Merle could be a handful, but he also believed his brother wasn't inherently bad. He was convinced that Merle had reasons for working with the Governor, and he thought Rick and the others should give him a chance.

Chloe, surprisingly, had no issue with the idea of Merle joining them. She, more than anyone, understood the pain of being separated from a family member. Daryl was surprised to learn she had a twin but never mentioned it. He wondered why she kept that from him.

However, seeing Chloe being dragged into the room where he was held back in Woodbury made Daryl regret bringing her along. Despite knowing she had people to care for her now, he believed they weren't always making the right decisions.

"It won't work," said Rick.

"It's gotta," Daryl insisted.

"He'll stir things up."

"Look, the Governor is probably on the way to the prison right now. Merle knows how he thinks, and we could use the muscle."

"We've got Cody and Alli now."

"I'm not having him at the prison," Maggie objected.

"Do you really want him sleeping in the same cell block as Carol, Beth, Chloe, or Maggie?" Glenn asked.

"He ain't a rapist," Daryl spat.

"Well, his buddy is," Glenn told him.

"They ain't buddies no more. Not after last night," Daryl defended Merle.

"There's no way Merle's gonna live there without putting everyone at each other's throats," Rick said.

"So you're gonna cut Merle loose and bring the last samurai home with us?" Daryl said angrily.

"She's not coming back."

"She's not in a state to be on her own," Chloe chimed in.

"She did bring you guys to us," Glenn said, supporting Chloe.

"And then ditched us," Rick told him.

"At least let my dad stitch her up," Maggie suggested.

"She's too unpredictable," Rick said, his eyes on the woman leaning against the SUV.

"That's right. We don't know who she is, but Merle, Merle's blood," Daryl said.

"No, Merle is your blood," Glenn said. "My blood, my family is standing right here and waiting for us back at the prison."

"And you're part of that family," Rick said, looking Daryl in the eyes. "But he's not. He's not."

"Man, y'all don't know," Daryl said, ignoring Merle's groans as he started to wake up. When there was no response from Rick, he huffed and turned away. "Fine. We'll fend for ourselves."

Chloe was shocked by his decision, but at the same time, she did understand why he did it. "No, you can't leave," she told him, attempting to follow.

"That's not what I was saying," Glenn said.

"No him, no me," Daryl said firmly.

"Daryl, you don't have to do that," Maggie said while Alli and Cody watched the group silently.

"It was always Merle and I before this," Daryl said.

"Don't, please," Chloe spoke, which caused Cody to shift closer to her.