𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝑻𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆

Chapter Twenty Three,
Sorry Brother

"We're keeping him in custody for now," Rick declared as he approached, while Shane and Daryl remained in the barn. Their initial plan was to kill Rendall, but Carl's unexpected appearance led Rick to change his mind.

"I'm gonna find Dale," Andrea stated.

A sudden scream echoed across the field, prompting Chloe and Logan to spring up, scanning the dark surroundings for the source.

"Get Carl," Rick shouted. "T-Dog, get a shotgun now!"

"Go inside the house, lock the door, and stay in there," Lori instructed Carl as a sense of urgency swept over everyone.

Chloe grabbed her bow and knife, joining the others who were now running across the field.

"What was that? What happened?" Glenn questioned, rushing after her.

"I don't know. Go!" Maggie urged.

"Dale!" Andrea's voice carried across the field.

"Help! Over here! Help! Run!" Daryl's shouts reached them, standing next to Dale, who lay on the ground with his guts exposed, Rick beside him.

"All right, just listen to my voice. Listen to me, all right? Just listen to me," Rick urgently spoke, attempting to calm the groaning Dale. "Okay, hold on now. Get Hershel! He needs blood. We got to operate now."

"Hang on, Dale. Hang on," Andrea's voice broke as she knelt next to Dale.

"Listen to me. Okay, listen to my voice. All right? Please. Hershel! We need Hershel!" Rick repeated while Chloe stood there in shock.

"Look at me," Andrea whimpered.

"Dale, we're gonna help. We're here. Just hold on," Rick assured him.

"What happened?" Hershel finally reached them, Patricia in tow.

"What can we do?" Rick asked him as the old man knelt to inspect Dale's wounds.

"Dale, it's gonna be okay," Glenn whispered.

"Can we move him?" Rick asked.

"He won't make the trip," Hershel spoke.

"You have to do the operation here. Glenn, Chloe, get back to the house," Rick instructed the two.

"Rick," Hershel said, devoid of any hope in his voice.

"No!"

"Oh god," Andrea sobbed. "He's suffering. Do something! Come on. Oh god."

Rick raised his gun, aiming at Dale's head. The scene was overwhelming. Logan placed a hand on Chloe's shoulder, supporting her shaking form as she anticipated what was to come next.

But it never did, as Rick seemed to hesitate.

Daryl, noticing Rick's hesitation, took the gun from his hand, aiming it at Dale. "Sorry, brother."

"