𝑭𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝑶𝒏𝒆

Chapter Forty One,
Infected

ADAM sat silently around the council table in the library trying to remain focused on the council members who were discussing the measures that should be taken, but his mind was too occupied with wild thoughts and he feared the worst.

"Patrick was fine yesterday, and he died overnight," Carol said. "Two people died that quick? We'll have to separate everyone that's been exposed."

"That's everyone in that cell block. That's all of us. Maybe more," Daryl spoke.

"We know that this sickness can be lethal. We don't know how easily it spreads. Is anyone else showing symptoms that we know of?" Carol asked.

"We can't just wait and see," Brad said.

"And there's children. It isn't just the illness. If people die, they become a threat," Carol added.

"We need a place for them to go," Hershel said. "They can't stay in D. We can't risk going in there to clean it up."

"We can use cell block A," Cody suggested.

"Death row? I'm not sure that's much of an upgrade," Glenn said.

"It's clean. That's an upgrade. Think that'll work for Dr. S?" Daryl asked.

"I'll help Caleb get it set up," Cody said before a cough was heard from the hallway.

"You okay?" Tyreese, walking with Karen down the hall, asked, causing her to nod her head.

"You sure?" Carol asked her, causing the two to turn towards the council.

"You don't sound so good," Adam pushed.

"We're just taking her back to my cell so she can rest."

"Tyreese, I don't think that's a good idea," Carol said.

"Why? What's going on now?"

"We think it's a flu or something," Glenn spoke. "That's how Patrick died."

"Judith is in that cell block," Hershel said. "She's vulnerable. Anyone that may be sick or even exposed should stay away."

"It killed Patrick?" Karen asked panic obvious on her face.

"She's gonna be okay. Now that we know what Patrick died from we can treat it, right?" Tyreese asked the council.

"Don't panic," Hershel told him. "We're going to figure this out. But we should keep you separated in the meantime. We'll have Caleb take a look at you. I'll see what we have in the way of medications."

"David from the Decatur group, he's been coughing, too," Karen informed them.

"I'll get him. There's some empty clean cells in the tombs, right?" Glenn said ready to get moving.

"Yeah, we'll meet you there," Sasha said guiding Karen.

"Have to call another meeting later," Hershel said.

"We have a lot of work to do now," Adam said.

"I'll get to burying the dead ones," Daryl announced.

"You wear gloves and a mask," Hershel told him before everyone went their way.

"Good thing you were there," Daryl remarked as Rick came up to him and Adam. The duo had assumed the task of burying the bodies themselves.

"Wasn't much use without my gun," Rick admitted.

"No, you were," Daryl told him. "All this time you've been taking off, you earned it."