survival

a heart monitor could be heard, followed by the tv something for kids it sounded like cartoons

a heart monitor could be heard, followed by the tv something for kids it sounded like cartoons. he turned his head to his left seeing what he was happy to see. his wife and daughter, both looking breathtaking. his daughter was the first to notice her father's wokeness. "dada." she pointed over to him. now his wife was looking his way and she stood up from the chair. as his wife stood up some men came in with dark clothes taking the baby from his wife. "we'll see you in a bit, just go with the nice men." his wife smiled as the men walked out with his daughter. and when the door closed he knew he had to speak before her.

"i know what you're going to say and it's not that deep." he got his words out before she could and he didn't dare want to look her in the eye but he didn't really have that much of a choice. "i'm thinking that i was right and you were wrong. and i warned you from the beginning. i warned you years ago, adonis!" his wife gestured her hands around. adonis looked at her as if he was annoyed but in reality he was scared, knowing where this talk was going.

"it was worth it or was it not? we have guys now, babe. we'll be fine. amara will be fine." he held his hand out for her to hold on to. she sighed walking towards him holding on to his hand she looked down to him. "it's too dangerous, adonis. these aren't regular people that will be intimidated by some bodyguards they live for that shit! it's a cartel." toronto told her husband, whispering the last part.

adonis never thought he would be with a woman that was affiliated with anything, but to be fair when he first looked at his wife she didn't look like the type that would slit your throat. but that's what made him fall deeper to her: layers. "you got out perfectly fine, i'm not some pussy and our daughter isn't one." adonis argued, squeezing his wife's hand letting her know how serious she was.

"my mother didn't because of what you're asking me to do and i barely did the first time. i don't want you or amara to get hurt because of something i can control." she explained looking down to him and that's when adonis just looked away. she was doing what she thought was best but it wasn't fair or right. it wasn't fair that she had to answer to things that she didn't do. "so you're just going to give up on us like that?" he questioned upset that she wasn't even entertaining the idea of her staying.

"do you think i want to leave? they shot my mother when she was pregnant and they aimed for my brother in the womb. there will be no question that they will kill amara and then you. that's something that can't happen. i can't fight them, no one can without power behind them." she explained touching his cheek she examined his face.

they caught adonis on his off day, coming home from a grocery run. it was a warning for her to run and she wasn't going to ignore the warning. it gave her time to run and figure something out. "so what are you going to do? go back to a life of crime? go back to be untraced? you know you hated that life." adonis held on to his wife's hand now knowing it was too late to convince her, knowing that it would be one of the last times he got to hold her hand.

"it's not about i like, it's about what keeps me alive so they have something to go after." she smiled sadly knowing that soon she would have to leave her fairy tale life behind. "what do i tell everyone about you leaving? what do i tell amara?" he didn't think he could raise his daughter by himself and he didn't want to find out.

"people thought i was crazy before. just feed into it. and get creative with it."

"i love you." he signed.

"always." she replied.