CHAPTER TWO

Renee

After my run in with Matthew, I ran to to the bathroom to clean my face then I headed to Coach Nixon's office for our meeting.

Knock, knock

"Come in!" His deep voice shouted.

Opening the door, I saw the dark black man sitting behind a desk with his feet up. Talking on the phone. "Dear, my 2 o' clock is here. I gotta go."

I could hear the voice on the other end shouting, "Ahhh! Is that the owner of Nonna's Kitchen! Put her on the phone!"

"Dear we have a meeting in fiv-"

"Put her on the phone!"

Coach Nixon pulled the phone away from his ear and handed it to me. "Hello." I timidly answered.

"Ahhh, hello! I'm Mrs. Nixon, what is your name, Sweetheart?"

"Um, Renee."

"Renee, are you the owner of Nonna's?"

"Yes, Mrs. Nixon."

"I love Nonna's and it's a pleasure to talk to the owner of the place!"

I blushed, "Thank you for saying that."

Mrs. Nixon scoffed. "Sweetheart, what you've created is amazing and I just wanted you to know. Expect to see me in Nonna's soon! Tell my husband I love him and enjoy your meeting, bye!"

"Um, thank you and bye." I returned. I handed Coach Nixon his phone and relayed his wife's message. Then we headed out to the conference room as he stood and locked his office door.

I walked a small distance behind Coach Nixon, preparing myself for what was to come. I'm not a public speaker. I hate public speaking, that's why up till now, I've never made a public appearance. The owner of Nonna's (Nonna is Italian for grandma) has been a mystery, the public doesn't even know I'm black.

"You nervous?" Coach Nixon asks as we approach the conference room door.

I take a deep breathe before answering, "Is it that obvious?"

He chuckled, "A little. Just breathe and know that I won't let those boys tease you or do anything to make you feel uncomfortable. Just give your presentation and tell them what they can do for you to make the process easier."

I nodded my head in understanding.

Coach Nixon opened the door and let me walk through ahead of him.

Alexander

I have the world's greatest headache. I thought repeatedly to myself.

Since I'd sat down all I've thought about is Ashley, Matthew, and the unborn baby that could be mine. My anger and frustration grew when Matthew walked in, sitting in the back with me but a few seats away.

Thankfully, the door to the room opened. I turned my chair to face the front thinking it was Coach Nixon and the elderly owner of Nonna's Kitchen. Instead of an elderly Italian woman, in walked a young, beautiful, curvy African-American woman. She was a little short, at least a foot smaller than me, she had jet-black shoulder length curly hair, and she looked extremely nervous.

"Men, this is Ms. Charles, owner of Nonna's Kitchen. She's here to tell you more about the project she has planned for the team." Coach Nixon said, pushing Ms. Charles front and center. "Before you begin, let me point out the two men sitting in the back. On the far right and the far left are the team co-captains, Alexander Donovan and Matthew Dononvan. If you have any problems and I'm not around, got to them. Now you can get started,"