CHAPTER EIGHT

Matthew

"Are you ever gonna tell me what you were doing there?"

"Can you just let it go? I don't remember what I was thinking, chalk it up to pregnancy brain." Ashley replied.

It's been two months since Alex found Ashley in his house naked and sleeping in his bed and she still hasn't told me why she was there. She wants to blame on pregnancy brain, if that's even a real thing, but I don't trust her. She'd say anything to get me off her back.

I'm so tired, of her lies and mine. I met with Renee and she had everything planned and ready to sign. I came with my lawyer and Nathan. I didn't know Nathan knew Renee until he hugged her.

***

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Nathan asked as he walked around the table, hugging Renee and giving Andre their signature handshake.

Breaking the embrace, "I'm here meeting your brother. He's the father of my kid."

"Not for long." I said under my breathe. I hadn't expected her to just blurt it out like that but I guess here's n need to hide it either, afterall, I am about to sign over my rights. I just hope Nathan plays the role of the dutiful brother and sticks by my side and that Andre stays in his seat.

"Alright so what are you guys meeting to talk about, visitation or something?" Nathan questioned as he took a seat on the side of the table where my lawyer and I were already sitting.

Across from us sat Renee, Andre and her African-American female lawyer will a big file folder of papers. "Bro, I don't know why we're here. She woke me up this morning and told me to get dressed, now I'm here. It is good to know who knocked up my sister though." Andre glared at me.

"Alright, let's get started then everything will be clear." Renee said.

Her lawyer opened the folder and started placing folders in front of me and my lawyer. "This is the paper stating that both parties have agreed to a DNA test after birth-"

"Why are we getting a DNA test, I-"

"Wait until I've finished going over the documents before asking questions." Her lawyer stated and then continued, "The DNA test must be preformed after birth or any other documents become null and void." He continues pushing papers my way, "This is a release form stating that Ms. Charles reserves the right to show her children the results of the DNA test when they turn 18 years old should the child or children decide they want to find you. This is a hush agreement, stating that neither party or anyone outside this room disclose to anyone the paternity of the child or children to anyone except to those that will be mainly involved in the child or children's life. In both of your cases this means Ms. Charles can tell Mr. Alexander Donovan who the father is and you, Mr. Donovan can tell Ms. Ashley Tate that you are the father of Ms. Charles' child or children." He pulled out two more papers and placed one in front of me. "Lastly for you, Mr. Donovan, this is a document about your paternal rights, sign this document and you are free from all you paternal obligationas but you also lose any right to see the child or children you and Ms. Charles will have and you will have no right to see or speak to them until they turn 18 and only if he/she/they make contact."

Holding up the last document Renee's lawyer asked, "Beside you is your brother Mr. Nathanial Donovan, correct?" She asks me.

"Yes." I answered.

The lawyer placed a document in front of Nathan. "This is for you to sign, you have a choice to be in the child or children's lives but if you sign this document, you give up all rights to be in the child's life as well."

Nathan took the paper off the table and to my dismay, torn the contract into two. Renee smiled and Andre gave a 'hell yeah' as he high-fived Nathan. I shook my head in disappointment and annoyance.