CHAPTER FIVE

Renee

The silence at the table was tangible. Everyone except me, Matthew, Ashley, and from the looks on their faces, Nathan and Alexander were dying to know Ashley news. Alex looked disgusted and Nathan held a face of pity in Matthew's direction.

I should probably get this over with as well. That way Alex can leave me before any real damage is done.

"After Ashley's announcement I have one of my own to make," I said to the table.

"That's rude, is she trying to out-shine Ashley." Matthew, Alex and Nathan''s Mom muttered.

"Remember, Mom, you, Dad, Ashley and Matthew weren't originally invited. If anything, Ashley is trying to out-shine Renee by inviting herself and then trynig t make announcements.

His mother sat back with a huff, not pleased to have been corrected by her son.

I looked at Nathan and gave him a smile of gratitude. He winked in response.

"As I was saying, I, we", she pulled on Matthew's hand to make him stand, "have an announcement. Matthew and I are pregnant!" She squealed.

"Aww, my baby is starting a family!" Matthew's Mom stood, hugging Ashley and kissing Matthew's cheek.

"What's your news?" Andre turned to me, clearly bored to tears with Ashley's news."

Having a change of heart, I decided not to announce my pregnancy right then and there. "You know what, I'll tell you my news at dinner tonight." I turned to Alex, "I hope you can make it." Then I turned to Nathan, "I want you there too, Nathan."

Alex took my hand and placed it on his thigh, graining my attention. "Of course we'll be there." He smiled.

I smiled back. God I hope I don't lose him.

The waiter reappeared with everyone's drink and took Alex's Mom and Dad's drinks and also everyone's food order.

"What favor were you gonna ask Renee, Ashley." Alex's Dad asked when the waiter came back with everyone's food.

"Oh, right, well Mom and Dad, Renee is the owner of Nonna's Kitchen so, I was gonna ask if she'd make the cake for the baby shower and cater our wedding!"

Matthew's Mom dropped her fork on the table. "You asked her to marry you! Oh my, I finally have a daughter!" She stood and handed out hugs to Ashley and kisses to Matthew.

"No, Mom, I didn't propose."

"Yet," Ashley finished. "But he will." She winked. Ashley turned back to me with raised eyebrows. No doubt expecting me to immediately answer yes.

"I'll have to check my schedule." I coolly answered.

"Oh come on!" Ashley whinned. "Your working with my fiance, you can't do me this one little favor?"

"She must thing she's too good for us." Matthew's Mom muttered under her breathe, but I still heard her.

"No I don't think I'm too good for anyone or anything. Nonna's is very popular and we're always busy. So busy we're booked in advance for months so I will have to call and check to see when I have time to do all you've asked of me." I huffed.

I was not in the mood to deal with all this so I quickly finished eating my tomato soup and turned to Alex. He was also finished eating so I whispered in his ear, "Can you take me back to my car?"

Alex stood, saying good byes to everyone at the table, while I said good bye to Andre and Nathan.

"What time is dinner, Sis?" Nathan asked, asked he hugged me.