the ball

"HERMIONE JEAN GRANGER, IF YOU DON'T GET YOUR WHINY LITTLE-

"Relax, Gin!" Hermione yelled from her room. "I'm trying to tie my robe, for Merlin's sake."

"Let me in!"

"Lord." Hermione pulled the door open, her mane all over the place.

"We have a lot of work to do," Ginny mumbled, pushing past her best friend. "So, take this and go in the bathroom to have a bath. Use every single product in there in the order I have labeled them. There are 16 and I have numbered each of them from 1-16. Use 1 first, ok? Great. So, you have your dress already. I'll do your hair and makeup, get you dressed, and then we're off. My hair is already washed so I'll do my hair and makeup while you're in there. Got it?"

Hermione stood with the basket of products in her arms, a non-surprised expression on her face as she nodded. "Yep."

~~~

Hermione exhaled slowly, looking ahead at the wall beside the steps. She peeked around the corner, her masquerade mask gently grazing the wall as she did so. She ducked back behind the wall swiftly, removing her mask and pulling her wand out.

The teachers were having the students charm their masks so that nobody would recognize anybody else. With a quick mumble and a flick, Hermione's was done and fastened to her face.

A few minutes went by with her controlling her breathing. Finally, she worked up the courage to descend the stairs.

The second she turned the corner, her dark red dress' glistening in the light, all eyes were on her. With her hair elegantly held at the back of her head with strands falling out all around her neck and face, her modelesque makeup that made her face shine behind her matching mask, her bright eyes and light brown hair contrasting against the colors of her outfit, all people could do was stare. Her dark dress was a smooth silk, tight around her waist and flowing out around her ankles where her black heels clicked. It came up to her shoulders, avoiding her collarbone, and graced her arms with delicate lace all the way to her wrist.

Hermione put a smile on her face, her pearly teeth shining with her glossed lips. She carefully and gracefully descended the stairs like she had practiced for Ginny. Once she reached the bottom, she looked around at the beautiful setting of the ball.

White 'snow' fell, sprinkling her hair with the small flakes. She smiled with a small laugh, looking up to gaze at the snow, her cheeks tinged a light pink from the cold air of the room. It set the atmosphere for a winter ball.

She looked back around again. A ginger girl in a black dress danced with a tall, dark, and handsome man who laughed with her. She wondered who they may be. Another messy haired boy with emerald eyes danced with a blonde girl with a stunning form. She studied each couple that seemed familiar. A ginger boy was dancing with a smile as he gazed at the dark haired girl with bangs in his arms. Even a girl with long, blonde hair and a funny dress danced with a dark haired boy with a small plant in his suit pocket.

Hermione smiled, walking to the seventh and eighth years table where she picked up a glass of champagne. She didn't see the boy gazing at her. He wore a smart, black tux without a tie and a simple black mask. His grey eyes looked at this mystery girl with love. He slowly made his way through the crowd, muggle Christmas music blaring around him.

~~~

Draco couldn't help staring at the beautiful girl looking around in amazement. He decided he ought to talk to her, as he had looked at her for a good ten minutes now. He began his approach, a champagne glass in hand.

"Excuse me, miss," he asked her. "I couldn't help but notice you across the room. I understand you have lots of admirers." He gestured to the group of guys staring at her as they straightened their appearance. "But I would love it if I could have just one dance."

Hermione looked at him for a moment as she sipped her champagne, the light and airy taste tickling her taste buds. "Alright. Let's see what you can do," she added jokingly.

The blond man merely smiled at her, offering his arm. "Shall we then?"

"We shall." Hermione allowed him to lead her toward the floor.

He turned to her as they reached the middle, looking at his hand near her waist and back at her for consent. Hermione nodded, smiling. His long arm slid around her waist, his left hand entwining with her right. She rested her left hand around his neck, grazing his shoulder blade.

I'll Be Home For Christmas came on, allowing the two a soft atmosphere to dance.

The two struck up a conversation as they gently swayed together.

Hermione loved his personality. He was everything from intelligent and charming to soft and sweet. He talked lovingly about his mother, not mentioning his father, and how much he enjoyed muggle author's books.

Draco fell in love with the girl dancing with him. She was smart and funny as well as sharp and feisty. She talked with him about what he loved, such as Quidditch and books, to what she loved, like books and her empowering beliefs on pressing matters.

Despite both of their differences, they joked and talked until the two realized it had been a long twenty minutes of waltzing, though it felt like two.

"So, I must ask you a very important question," Draco said with a serious face behind his mask.

"And what might that be?" Hermione inquired with a raised eyebrow.

"What house do you happen to be in?"

"Ah, I am a proud Gryffindor."

Draco sucked in a breath through his teeth in a joking manner. "Should've known. Well, I guess that means that this must come to an end."

"How sad," Hermione smiled. "May I ask why?"

"Well, I am in the house of Slytherin, your rivals."

"Oh no!" she whisper-shouted in a sarcastic voice. "Do your parents know?"

Draco laughed loudly, smiling at her. "They wanted me to be in Slytherin, actually."

"That's surprising." Hermione chuckled lightly, looking up into his eyes. Now where had she seen such unique, grey eyes before?

~~~

The clock was striking the first bell of midnight.

"It's time!" everyone squealed.

For on the twelve strike, you were to reveal yourself to your partner.

Hermione looked away from the large clock in the center of the back wall. Her eyes fell on the mystery man in front of her.

"I can't wait to find out," he smiled, brushing a piece of her hair back.

Hermione couldn't help looking at the floor bashfully. "Thanks. Me neither."

The fourth strike passed.

"Are you sure you'll still like me?" Draco asked the unknown girl in his arms.

"Promise," she laughed, holding up her pinky.

The eighth strike passed.

The boy smiled, hooking his own pinky with hers. The girl chuckled at how ridiculous they must look. The boy brought their fingers to his lips and gently laid a kiss on her joint.

The eleventh strike.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

The twelfth strike rang through the building as the sound of masks hitting the floor cried out.

Hermione had closed her eyes, but chose to open them after she heard a gasp.

"You," Draco muttered, looking at her in shock.