9

After Lainie described what she meant Maddie excused herself with a quick good-bye and made her way home

After Lainie described what she meant Maddie excused herself with a quick good-bye and made her way home. To her dismay she could hear shouting before she even entered the house. "You do not feel that way you're fine!" Maddie could hear her mother say as she entered the room, her mom sounded desperate to act like her son was okay and Zach sounded angry when he repeated the words he had said over and over again to himself. "I'm fine."

Zach stood up and grabbed his bag before leaving, when Maddie looked over she seen May standing in the hall, she had most likely hear the whole thing. Maddie shook her head and walked over to May. "Hey, why don't you go to your room okay?" Maddie asked looking at her sister who nodded and ran to her room, Maddie sighed and walked over before sitting in front of her mother who was dressed in a pink suit with tears in her eyes.

"What happened?" Maddie asked gently and Karen sniffled before looking to her eldest daughter. "Zach said he's felt like Hannah." She says and Maddie nods looking at her mother sadly before speaking. "He has." Maddie says, I have too, she wanted to add but she didn't. "One night I, uhm, I walked into his room and he was crying while reading the note Hannah gave him. Telling her how alone she felt, and with Dad gone he lost it, he broke his window and he took a piece of glass but I ran and stopped him." Maddie says and Karen looks at her daughter, how had this happened without her knowing?

"You guys- you have to tell me things like this."

"For awhile you were just gone, Mom. We felt like we couldn't without being lectured or yelled at." Karen nodded and then sighed. "Well, thank you for telling me but you should get some rest, you testify tomorrow." Karen says and Maddie shakes her head grabbing her mothers arm when she went to leave the room. "There's something else I need to tell you, something important."

Karen nodded and allowed her daughter to pull her to sit with her. "So, I was at Clay's today and uhm, well one thing you need to know is Justin's back." Karen sits back for a moment, she wanted to say something, something along the lines of don't go back to someone who left you but Karen knew how much Maddie hated not having Justin around, so she stayed silent and listened to the teen as she continued. "And you know how Lainie is a lawyer, well I guess one of the lawyers in her firm is a lawyer connected with my birth-mother." Maddie says and Karen furrows her brows confused on where this was going.

"Well, Lainie told me that Katherine," She says beginning to call her mother by name. "is trying to bring up a case against your adaption and make you seem unfit to take care of me." After a few moments of it sinking it Karen stares at her daughter. "I promise I didn't know until she told me, and she hasn't tried to make contact with me." Maddie says quickly but Karen only nods. "Okay, uhm, I really, really need to get on the phone with some people. Do some research. But you need to go to sleep." Karen says and Maddie nods going into her bedroom, she wanted to stay with Karen and figure out everything she needed to know, but she knew she needed to get some sleep.