5

I felt sick to my stomach as Imogen and Lucy ushered me out of my room and onto the busy hallway, which was now occupied by girls who I assumed were the other Nobles' Daughters

I felt sick to my stomach as Imogen and Lucy ushered me out of my room and onto the busy hallway, which was now occupied by girls who I assumed were the other Nobles' Daughters. They were all immaculately dressed in fabrics that looked imported from all around the globe. I suddenly felt very small and inferior compared to the others. 

The hallway buzzed with conversation as the girls got to know one another, as well as who their competition was. 

I looked around until my eyes connected with bright blue ones that sparkled with what I could only describe as mischief and pride. I was looking at one of the most beautiful girls I'd ever seen before. She had long blonde hair which settled on her shoulders, alluring cat-like blue eyes and perfectly shaped cupid's bow lips. She was dressed in a cream coloured dress that left nothing much to the imagination, but still managed to make her look regal. 

I was stunned into silence until I realized she was staring right at me. She gave me a once over. She smirked smugly before turning away, as if deciding I wasn't worth her time.

"That's Esme Addington. She's probably going to win," A voice startled me. 

I turned to see an extremely pretty girl with brown skin that resembled melted chocolate and hazel eyes paired with a curly mass of lighter brown hair. Her eyes were warm and kind, the kind of eyes I hadn't seen in a long time. 

"Why?" I inquired. I could easily guess the answer, but I wanted to hear what this girl thought. 

"Well," She said, turning to where 'Esme' laughed elegantly with some other girls. "She's easily the most beautiful Lady here- and she's extremely elegant. Plus, her father is a Marquess." 

"Maybe we'll just be surprised and Esme won't win after all," I shrugged. "I'm Madeline by the way." 

"Fiona. Fiona Kensley," She smiled, warmly. I decided I liked her. It was rare to find a Noble's daughter who wasn't obnoxious or painfully stupid. Fiona seemed like she was going to be a breath of fresh air compared to the girls we were surrounded by. 

We began to walk away from the hallway, towards what I guessed was the dining hall. 

"I've actually never seen the prince. They say he's the most handsome man ever," Fiona whispered, giggling. 

"I've seen him. And he's not all that," I lied. I knew the prince was an asshole but I couldn't deny the fact that he was awfully good-looking. 

"Seriously?" Fiona's face fell. 

"I mean I saw him almost 7 years ago. He could have changed since then," I quickly amended. 

"I'm so nervous," Fiona let out a shaky breath. 

Fiona was extremely refined and carried herself like a Princess. I didn't think walking down some stairs was going to be a problem for her. Me on the other hand...