8

I could feel all the eyes on the room on me and my palms began to sweat

I could feel all the eyes on the room on me and my palms began to sweat. The only thing I could do was the thing I knew how to do best. 

"My tale starts in a faraway land, where mystical creatures roamed the streets...," I started. 

I had created a story in my head, on the spur of the moment, and I could feel everyone listening intently. Despite my nervousness, I could feel that I had the room's attention. 

"And Princess Verna flew off into the darkness," I closed off, looking around the room. The Ladies leaned forward, listening eagerly- except for Esme, who rolled her eyes and examined her nails. Queen Amelia had an undecipherable expression on her face while Princess Barbara raised an eyebrow. 

Had I made a mistake? 

"That's it? Where is Princess Verna going?" Princess Barbara demanded. 

I had made up the story on impulse and had no idea myself what Princess Verna's next steps were going to be. 

"As much as we would like to hear the rest of Lady Madeline's story, I'm afraid the salon has come to an end. Thank you, Ladies; this time has been quite...interesting," The Queen made eye contact with each of us before leaving, Princess Barbara not too far behind. 

"Are you trying to get kicked out, Madeline?" Esme whipped around, once the Queen was safely out of earshot. 

"Excuse me?" I tried my best to arch my eyebrow like Caroline did countless times  but I suspected I just looked stupid. 

"That little story you told was disastrous. I'm sure the Queen hated it," Esme said. "And we all know that the Queen has a strong power over who stays after The Cut and who doesn't." 

"Besides, no one wants a storyteller for a Queen," Ashley added.  

"I think the Queen liked it. I mean Princess Barbara did- and I did as well," Fiona said, surprising me. 

Esme rolled her eyes and scoffed, "You have so much potential, Fiona. Instead of hanging around losers like Madeline, you should be with us." 

"Oh I'm sure Fiona isn't ready to be a lap dog just yet," I snarled. 

"I am not a lap dog!" Ashley protested. 

"Shut up, Ashley!" Esme snapped, before flouncing out, Ashley, Petulia and the other ladies not far behind. 

"I know I made a fool of myself," I sighed. 

"No, you didn't, Maddie. Your story was mesmerizing. Princess Barbara certainly loved it- in her own way and you could see the Queen listening intently. Esme is just jealous," Fiona reassured. 

I snorted, "Jealous of what? I'm nothing compared to these other girls." 

"That's what you might think," Fiona shrugged, as we walked back towards the Ladies' wing.