40

I blinked groggily and realized I was in my bed, like nothing had ever happened

I blinked groggily and realized I was in my bed, like nothing had ever happened. The only thing that proved that my kidnapping and encounter with The Dark Lords was real was the pounding headache I had, and bruises on my wrists from the rope. 

I sat up in my bed and rubbed at my eyes. It had been the most eventful day I'd ever had and I still couldn't comprehend what had just happened. But I knew what I needed to do. 

Though, I couldn't find it in me to go to bed. I had so many unanswered questions I needed to ask. So many thoughts running through my brain at the same time. Along with the fact that my heart beat never calmed down and my hands didn't stop shaking. 

It suddenly hit me that I had been in the same room with rebels, people that had hurt other people just to achieve their goal. Plus, I didn't know what to do. The Dark Lords had given me an ultimatum and even though I felt I knew what I wanted to do, I couldn't help but dwell on the thought. 

If I agreed to The Dark Lord's proposal, and joined them, I could be saving Carlos' life- and possibly the lives of others. But, I didn't want to become a ploy or pawn in anyone's game. I hated violence and I wasn't going to indulge in it. Besides, if things went wrong and I was caught I could be jailed for treason- or worse, killed. The image of the tortured criminal ran through my mind once again. 

But, if I disagreed, The Dark Lords would kill the royal family nonetheless. I just couldn't comprehend how they could kill Princess Barbara- who was barely 16. Or Prince Carlos who hadn't even gotten the chance to rule. But King Albert and Queen Amelia were keeping secrets from the Aridian citizens...

I already knew my decision but I couldn't keep it all to myself. I knew what I had to do the next day, I just had to summon enough courage to do it. 

*** 

"Are you sure everything is alright, Lady Madeline?" Lucy asked, her bottom lip sticking out as she peered at me through the window. 

"I'm fine, Lucy," I tried to crack a smile, though I knew it didn't look realistic. 

"I know for a fact that there is something bothering you, Lady Madeline," Imogen folded her arms across her chest. "You're never this...melancholy." 

I feigned a yawn and put my hand against my forehead like Caroline did whenever she was fatigued. "I'm just a bit tired that's all. The competition and everything is going to my head." 

"Aw, you poor poor baby," Lucy threw her arms around me and squeezed until I felt like I would burst. 

Imogen, however, didn't look convinced. Her arms were still folded across her chest and her eyes were narrowed. 

"What is it now, Imogen?" Lucy rolled her eyes. 

"Nothing," Imogen shook her head but still looked like she wanted to say more.