34

With shaky fingers, I picked up the bow and arrow

With shaky fingers, I picked up the bow and arrow. My father had showed me how to shoot an arrow before but recently, I hadn't gotten any practice. I assumed that my coming to the palace would consist of tea parties and balls- not archery. 

I tried to concentrate as I put the arrow in, my fingers curling around the string. Letting out a breath, I released, the arrow piercing itself in the board. Just a few centimetres and it would have missed the target board altogether. 

I didn't miss the snickers and whispers from Ashley and Esme. 

I took the second arrow, determined to at least hit close to the bullseye. I released the string and the arrow missed the bullseye, but not by too far. 

You can do this, Madeline, I thought to myself as I placed my fingers on the string again. 

"You're wasting our time," Esme snapped and it took all my willpower not to turn the bow and arrow towards Esme and end my misery then and there. But it did put an idea in my head. Instead of the target board, I envisioned a snickering Esme, laughing at me. 

My grip on the bow tightened and as I pulled back the string, I watched as the arrow hit the bullseye, excitement burning through my veins. Surprisingly, the crowd rallied. 

"You were just lucky," Esme spat as I got back in line. "I bet I still beat you." 

"Why is it so hot?" Ashley moaned. 

"You did great!" Fiona squeezed my hand. 

Before I could reply, the herald had begun announcing the scores. 

"In 6th place, we have Lady Katherine Marlee," The herald started. 

Katherine muttered something I couldn't quite decipher before the herald continued. 

"In 5th place, Lady Isadora Kent." 

Isadora didn't look sad or angry at the news. She accepted it, inclining her head in a graceful nod. 

"In 4th place, Lady Ashley Fulton." 

"Whatever, I don't care about this stupid tournament anyway," Ashley fumed. 

"Don't be so sour Ash," Esme snapped. "Besides, you all knew I was winning this tournament since we started." 

"In 3rd place...Lady Fiona Kensley!" The herald announced and the crowd cheered, shouting out praises. It was apparent that Fiona had many fans. 

"Now it's down to 2 places. Who will win this challenge? Lady Madeline or Lady Esme?" The herald asked the crowd. 

The crowd chanted mixed replies, but mostly Esme. I knew Esme was going to win either way. She had shot closer to the bullseye. But it felt good not being at the bottom as usual. 

"In 2nd place, we have...Lady Madeline Prowess! Meaning Lady Esme Addington is the winner of this round!" The herald announced and the crowd's cheers were almost deafening.