32

I suddenly felt very strange

I suddenly felt very strange. Like I wasn't supposed to be there. My skin crawled and my hair stood on end as I quickly returned the journal to its position. I contemplated taking it with me but something told me the book was much too valuable to be carrying around in the Ladies' Wing. Plus, the library must've been hidden for a reason. I guessed that me knowing the truth about Aridia's history was enough to require punishment and I wasn't hoping to get tortured like the criminal I'd seen.

I took one last look around the library, tempted to stay, tempted to read until my head burst. I had never been so intrigued in my life. This library held more secrets, information and stories than anywhere I'd ever been. But I was smart enough not to linger any longer. These were secrets the Aridian nobility and monarchy wanted hidden and if they found out I knew about them...I didn't even want to think about what would happen to me.

Hesitantly, I left the hidden library, the door sliding shut after me. I took one last look at the picture and then I finally understood. The 2 armies were both Aridian but separated nonetheless. The one with the Aridian flag was most likely the army of King Ogden while the other army probably belonged to the allies of King Ralph. I hadn't read anything about a war between them but I assumed Ralph's allies wouldn't leave without a fight.

My hands shook with excitement and the thrill of what I had just discovered and I contemplated telling someone. I couldn't tell Fiona, for she would probably dismiss it as a rumor. Could I tell Amancio, or Carlos? Would they believe me? Or did they already know about it?

I tried hard to retrace my steps back to the Ladies' Wing. I didn't know what time it was but I was certain that I'd spent hours in the library and my stomach grumbled in protest.

I let out a relieved sigh once I had entered a familiar terrain, dodging bumbling servants as they went about they daily jobs. But I was too occupied with my thoughts to notice the servant heading right towards me, a load of papers in hand. My body connected with his and his papers went flying onto the floor, mixing up in the process.

"Oh no!" He wailed, crashing onto the floor in an attempt to pick up the papers.

"I'm so sorry," I apologized profusely, bending to help him.

He looked at me, his wide hazel eyes meeting mine. "Y-you don't need to do that."

"Yes, I do. It was my fault. Here," I said, handing him what looked like a letter.

"Lady Madeline Prowess," A familiar voice chuckled. "You always seem to be in some sort of trouble."

"Your Grace," The servant inclined his head.

I stood up, folding my arms across my chest. "And where have you been Lord Amancio?"

"I'm sorry, I've been incredibly busy with the duchy and everything. You look quite shaken, are you alright?" Amancio asked.

I nodded quickly. "Just very excited, that's all."

"I'm sure you're excited for the tournament tomorrow," Amancio winked.

I almost choked. "T-tournament? Which tournament?"

"The Tournament of the Six, of course. The remaining six Ladies will compete tomorrow, in front of Aridia. I thought it would be your forte," Amancio explained.

I let out a tired sigh. This was probably my years of nonchalance coming back to bite me. I knew nothing about the tournament, as I never listened during Aridian History classes. Though, I was excited. We would finally get to go outside and at least I had a chance at winning. I doubt Esme, Ashley, Fiona, Katherine or Isadora knew how to climb trees or play any contact sports.

"To think I'd be able to rest for just a few days," I shook my head.

"Madeline, I hope you understand that the competition is getting extremely fierce now. There'll be virtually no chance to rest," Amancio explained.

I nodded solemnly. "Don't worry, I've got this. Be prepared to watch me win the tournament tomorrow."

"I'm counting on you," Amancio winked before preparing to turn away.

"Wait!" I called. "H-how's Prince Carlos?"

Amancio raised an eyebrow quizzically before he smiled, amused. "Carlos is extremely busy at the moment, but I'll tell him you asked."

A mixture of the feelings from what I'd read, the news about the tournament and the competition in general drove me crazy and I couldn't seem to concentrate on anything else.

***

"So this tournament? What's it about?" I asked Fiona, as we lounged in the Ladies' Salon.

"I remember when I was about 11 years old, my parents took me to watch a Ladies' Tournament. It obviously wasn't for The Choice but I remember it was very competitive. There was archery, an obstacle course- so many activities," Fiona recalled.

"You don't look excited about it," I noticed.

"That's because I'm horrible at physical activity. I do well in dancing and art but when it comes to archery and running, I do terribly," Fiona sighed.

"Come on, Fiona. You literally thrive in everything- I don't think you'd be that bad," I tried to make Fiona feel better. It looked like she was genuinely freaked out about the tournament and considering how important the competition was to her, I guessed it was a big deal.

As if on cue, the Salon door flew open and Esme walked in, Ashley and Katherine not too far behind. I didn't take Katherine for one to leech onto Ashley and Esme like a parasite but it was becoming obvious that she was determined to take Petulia's spot as their lapdog.

"Finally, all those years of intensive physical training can come in handy," Esme carried on her conversation, making sure to give Fiona and I the most disgusting looks she could muster.

Fiona and I exchanged irritated glances.

"You're such an all-rounder, Esme. I wish I even knew how to hold a bow," Katherine sucked up to Esme, pushing out her bottom lip.

Ashley rolled her eyes in disgust.

"Don't worry, Katherine. I'm sure the likes of Madeline and Fiona will be sure to bring the bar low enough so we don't get embarrassed," Esme smirked, earning her giggles from Ashley and Katherine.

"If you must know, Lady Esme, Lady Fiona and I are ready to win the tournament tomorrow. Just you wait," I spat.

Fiona shot me an alarmed look and I regretted my choice of words immediately.

"OK then, Lady Madeline. But I can't assure you we won't play dirty," Esme smirked deviously.

Last chapter of the day! What do you think will happen in the tournament? Don't forget I upload 2 chapters daily so stay tuned

Stay safe guys, don't forget to vote, comment and share. Love you <3