53

I was in shock as the guards grabbed me

"This must be a mistake," I protested, trying to wriggle out of their iron grip. 

"Let her go!" Carlos demanded. 

"Sorry Prince Carlos, these were direct orders from the King. She'll be held in one of the cells on the Right Wing," One of the guards said, monotonously. 

"Carlos!" I objected. I hadn't done anything wrong- not that I knew of, at least. 

"Can you at least tell me why you're arresting her?" Carlos asked. 

The guards exchanged thoughtful looks before one of them spoke up. 

"She's a spy sent by The Dark Lords," His grip on my arm tightened. 

Carlos scoffed, shaking his head. "Don't worry Madeline, I'll speak to my father. This is absurd." 

The guards took me away from the balcony, towards a part of the palace I'd never been in. I couldn't understand what had happened in the past few minutes. Why did they think I was a spy? Did it have something to do with the dress? 

"This must be some sort of misunderstanding," I protested, as I was led into a dark, dank hallway with a row of cells on each side. My heart rate increased in fear. 

"You Dark Lords think you're going to destroy everything that our ancestors have taken decades to build," A guard seethed, practically throwing me into the musty cell. 

"I'm Lady Madeline, one of the Nobles' Daughters. Let me explain," I grabbed the bars. 

"Save your lies for King Albert," The taller guard said, a mischievous glint in his eye. 

The realization of what he implied made my blood run cold and the memory of the tortured rebel resurfaced. Was that what they were going to do to me? 

I grabbed the bars once again, desperate. 

"How do you know I'm a spy? I...don't understand any of this. You have to believe me," I cried, tears running down my cheeks. 

"The King received a letter from The Dark Lords saying to look out for a message," The guard crouched low, his face dangerously close to mine. 

I gulped. 

"Then a Lady Sombre arrives, wearing a dress with The Dark Lords' signature colors- red and black. There was no Lady Sombre on the guest list but strangely...you had an invitation," The guard whispered, his breath foul. 

"And now for the cherry on top. Sombre in French means dark. Lady Sombre literally translates into Dark Lady. Do you need any further explanation as to how we found out?" He raised an eyebrow. 

I turned away from him, the realization settling in. I'd been used by The Dark Lords. As a pawn in the sick game they were playing with the Royal Family. I felt so stupid. Why didn't I ask more questions when Imogen brought in the dress? Imogen. Was she in on the plan? Was she one of...them? 

My heart beat in fear. What if King Albert didn't believe my story, as crazy as it sounded. What if they jailed me for treason? Or worse, tortured me for information I didn't have. 

"Where is she?!" Amancio's voice boomed in the empty hall. 

"Amancio," I cried. 

"Madeline, everything will be OK," Amancio took my hand in his. "Just...explain to me how you get the invitation. And the dress." 

Despite my frantic state, I tried my best to explain everything. From Fiona's betrayal to Imogen surprising me with the dress. 

"She was used," Amancio paced back and forth. 

"Madeline, are you OK?" Carlos practically ran towards my cell and crouched beside me. "Everything will be alright. I've spoken to my father. You'll be out of this pig sty soon." 

"The Dark Lords have infiltrated the palace," Amancio sighed. 

"We have to question the staff," Carlos' brows furrowed. 

"That's, that's how I was kidnapped so easily," The thought that The Dark Lords were so close sent chills running down my spine and turned my blood into ice. 

"You were kidnapped?" Amancio's voice was dark and his eyes were cold, a sign of him I hadn't seen before. 

"It...was a while ago," I muttered, the memories flooding back. 

"Carlos did you know about this?" Amancio turned to Carlos, his fists clenched. 

"Madeline told me about it when it happened,"  Carlos' eyes didn't meet Amancio's. 

Amancio scoffed and then closed his eyes as if thinking. "I'm sorry. Now we just have to get Madeline out of the cell and find out who the traitors are." 

*** 

Sleep was impossible for me. I couldn't stop...thinking. 

Thinking. 

Worrying. 

More thinking.  

More worrying. 

Over-analyzing. 

Trying not to cry. 

Crying. 

Wondering. 

And the cycle repeated itself. I couldn't believe The Dark Lords had gotten to me once again without me even knowing. How could I be so stupid? I didn't even want to think what could've happened if Carlos wasn't there. Or Amancio. 

I realized how much I'd change since entering the competition. I wasn't plain old Madeline who didn't care about anything anymore. I actually cared about finding a way to stop The Dark Lords and reduce the amount of poverty in Aridia. 

I entered the competition with a strong hatred for Carlos and there I was, lying in bed trying hard to get him out of my head. And then of course, there was Amancio. I hated the fact that I just couldn't pick one. Carlos was so intriguing and Amancio was so unapologetically charming. 

 Which brought me to The Choosing Ceremony, which was just a few days away. I couldn't believe it was almost over. It seemed like just yesterday I arrived at the palace, oblivious to the real happenings in Aridia. 

I wondered how I would feel if Carlos chose me. He'd already said he would but I knew well enough that things could change in a matter of days. Besides, I wasn't Princess material at all- talk less of Queen. 

What if Carlos didn't choose me? The thought of him with any of the other Ladies made my heart ache. And Amancio. The side of Amancio I saw earlier on in the cell made me question everything. 

I didn't believe one could have equal feelings for two people. There had to be one I felt more for- I just had to figure out who. 

Hi guys, an update as requested! My birthday is in just 2 days- I can't wait

Comment who you ship Madeline with, Amancio or Carlos? And please vote, comment and share. 

Love y'all!