29

"Lady Madeline, what part of Aridia are you from?" A curly haired woman approached me, a pen and notebook in hand

The grand hall was crazy with journalists and reporters everywhere. They ambushed us as soon as we got in and the amount of attention I was getting was extremely overwhelming. 

"Uh, I'm from Colgate," I replied. 

"Colgate is an extremely small county. What's the weather like?" Another interviewer asked. 

I turned my neck towards him so fast, I feared I'd gotten whiplash. 

"Well, some days Colgate is extremely gloomy. Clouds everywhere- and really wet. But other days I wake up and it's boiling, like the sun is tanning," I rambled. I doubt what I had said was audible but the reporter nodded attentively, scribbling quickly in his notebook. 

"Lady Madeline, what makes you think you can win this competition?" 

"I-I think I'm very r-resourceful, and uh resilient. Plus, I think I'm quite amusing- I mean,  I can make Prince Carlos laugh," I mumbled, cringing internally. 

Despite the loud mix of chatter from the Ladies and reporters, Esme's interview could still be heard. 

"I think I'm going to be the next Queen of Aridia. I mean, just look at me- I'd be the most beautiful queen Aridia has ever had- after Queen Clemence of course," Esme flipped her hair across her shoulder. I had to admit, she looked like a born natural. She answered the questions with such ease, like she'd been interviewed twice a week all her life. 

"What do you have to tell the Aridians? How can you convince them to give you their Citizen's Vote?  Lady Madeline?" The reporter stared at me quizzically. I had no idea what a Citizen's Vote was but I assumed it was the say Aridian citizens had in the picking of the next queen. 

 "Right. Sorry," I laughed nervously. "I just want to say...I might not be the prettiest Lady, or the most graceful. Hell, I don't even know what I'm doing most of the time. But I'm relatable, I make mistakes and I won't try to convince anyone that I'm perfect. If I was Queen of Aridia, I'd show the citizens that being yourself is more than enough." 

I had no idea what had come over me. I rarely said things like that. 

The reporter wiped away what looked like a tear. 

"A-are you crying?" I asked, alarmed. 

The reporter shook her head, sniffing. "You definitely have my Citizen's Vote for sure." 

I was too stunned to even reply and before I could, I was whisked away to take pictures. 

Fiona was right before me, flashing her bright smile at the camera. She looked just like a Princess. 

"Lady Madeline!" A short, stout woman I assumed was the coordinator snapped. 

Just a little bit scared, I rushed in front of the camera. 

"What do you want me to do?" I asked, confused. I wasn't used to getting so much attention. 

"Show us who Lady Madeline is. When the citizens of Aridia think of you, what image do you want them to see in their minds?" The photographer advised. 

"Directing the Ladies is my job, Advik," The coordinator scoffed. "You're just here to take the pictures." 

"Fine," Advik muttered, peering behind the camera. 

I let out a deep breath and gave my widest smile. I definitely wasn't planning on winning The Choice but I did want to show the Aridians that they didn't have to be prissy and perfect to be a Lady. 

"That's...not what I was expecting but whatever," The coordinator muttered, walking away. 

"Brave move," Advik flashed me a shy smile. 

"Brave in what sense?" I raised an eyebrow. 

"Almost all the Ladies had the same regal smile. You're the only one who did something different- the Aridian citizens will notice that." 

"With Ladies like Esme's photos next to mine? I highly doubt that," I shook my head. I knew I was different but I certainly didn't stand out compared to Esme and Ashley. 

Advik lowered his voice so that it was barely audible, "Between you and me, you're already a hit with the crowd." 

I almost choked on my own saliva. "Me? I'm Lady Madeline, not Esme." 

 "Well obviously the Citizen's Vote hasn't been taken but they certainly have their favorites," Advik nodded. 

"And I'm one of them?" I asked, stunned. 

Advik nodded, "Lady Esme's the most popular right now but Lady Fiona, Lady Ashley and yourself are definitely among the favorites." 

"Wow," I blew out my cheeks. "That's very surprising news." 

"Just keep up the work, Lady Madeline. I'm rooting for you," Advik winked. 

*** 

"I'm sure Aridia is in love with me," Emse's boasted as we walked out of the ballroom. 

"They probably think you'll make an evil queen," Ashley muttered under her breath. 

"I heard that," Esme hissed. 

"My family has done a lot of charity work around Aridia. The Aridians will definitely want to repay the good deed," Katherine shrugged. 

"If it's charity then it shouldn't have to be repaid, Katherine," Fiona scoffed. 

"Get off your high horse, Fiona. We all know your Virgin Mary act is fake," Esme rolled her eyes. 

"Because Fiona isn't a two-faced witch like you?" I rolled my eyes. 

"No one was talking to you, Maddie. I saw how you made yourself look like a complete fool during the press conference," Ashley narrowed her eyes. 

"Ladies can we please not do this now? I have a pounding headache," Lady Isadora sighed. 

"If you have a stupid headache then leave, Isadora. Gosh!" Esme snapped, before hurrying away with Ashley. 

"What is up with those two?" Fiona closed her eyes, tiredly. 

"Are you surprised? I'm so sick and tired of hearing Esme speak," I seethed, letting out an annoyed breath. 

I had endured Esme's antics for a few weeks and it was quickly starting to get to me. I didn't know how much more of it I could take. It made me wonder, was agreeing to stay a mistake? Was Carlos' company worth it if my happiness and sanity were at stake?

 It made me wonder, was agreeing to stay a mistake? Was Carlos' company worth it if my happiness and sanity were at stake?

Hey guys! Editing while in class lmao, my WiFi wasn't working. But here's chapter 29. How's online school going for y'all? We're almost halfway through the book yayyy! 

Don't forget to vote, comment and share. Love y'all!