11

Smiling Maddie woke up stretching and refreshed

Smiling Maddie woke up stretching and refreshed. For the past few days though she slept relatively well she had nightmares so instead of doing anything yesterday she went home and fell asleep early, which luckily worked to her advantage. "Hey, you awake?" Zach asks standing in the door frame of Maddie's room looking at her under a bundle of blankets. "Yes." She says sitting up fully dressed. "I was just waiting for you." She says with a bright smile, today they were going to start driving to school together, as requested from their mom but either way they would have went together because today was Alex's birthday and they were in charge of the getting the banner up.

It didn't take long for the siblings to get to the school and pick which hall to set up in. "You guys did a nice job on the banner." Zach compliments his sisters and Jessica's work as they unravel it. "Thank you, I picked the colors she picked the font." Maddie says as it becomes fully unraveled. "So, why am I helping you again, because, obviously I can't reach even on the latter, and you can." Maddie says sass coming through her voice making Zach chuckle and walk up to her taking the banner from her hands. "Because you're going to sit on my shoulders and put it up, we all know I don't have enough balance for a latter." Zach says making Maddie's eye's widen. "Zach, I'll fall." She says seriously but Zach shakes his head telling her she'd be fine.

After a few minutes of arguing the hallway was filled with laughter. "Zach stop." Maddie says laughing as she places her hands on her brothers head as if it'd balance her more. "Okay. Okay. Here." He says laughing as he hands her the banner looking at the people who were chuckling at the scene of Maddie on her brother's shoulders. "I still can't reach." She says frustrated.

"Jesus, Mads, just stand on my shoulders." Zach says seriously making Maddie bend slightly to look at him oddly. "You're not going to drop me?" She asks serious, after he promises not to drop her she allows him to help her get from sitting to standing on his shoulders. After about ten minutes of laughing, shrieking, and threats the siblings got the banner up as soon as Jessica texted them to let them know that Alex and herself had arrived and would be there shortly.

"You really think he'll like it?" Maddie asks crossing her arms as she leans against the wall looking at her older brother.

"Of course, why wouldn't he?" He questions and Maddie rolls her eyes as if it were obvious, and to her it was. "Alex, I know you've seen it. Since the accident he's a lot different, I don't know how much he'll enjoy this." Maddie says unsure, she didn't mean to be rude or ignorant to his situation but he was a lot more depressed and seemed to really only be angry, but Maddie could understand why.

"Why is Zach and Maddie waiting for us?" Alex asks his voice giving away his smile he was attempting to hide making both Zach and Maddie smile, and feel a little better about the whole thing. "And why are they smiling like that? What?" He asks confused while Jessica laughs. Both Maddie and Zach have their arms cross and Maddie kicks herself off the wall to look at the small body walking forward. "Wait.." Zach says smiling though he tried to look confused. "Is it your birthday?" Maddie asks smiling looking between the three as if actually asking a question.