nineteen

Harry Styles

"Are you guys hungry? Why don't I make some brunch?" Bleu offered to the group, not making eye contact with me as much as I tried to get her to.

"That would be lovely, Bleu." My mom smiled, already taking a liking to the girl.

"Great! Let me shower and change then I'll cook something up." Bleu replied before running out of the kitchen to quickly shower.

"She's great, huh?" I smile.

"You're so lucky she's here right now. I'm pretty sure she would have stayed with her mom — which is weird for her — if we had told her earlier we'd be here." Rachal replied.

My mom looked at me, puzzled, and I gave a look back to her to let her know I'd explain later. "Well, she is here and that is wonderful. Is everything set for tomorrow?"

Sarah nodded, "But, don't expect a good reaction from her. She doesn't like things handed to her, H."

Rachal nodded in agreement, "One time her dad bought her a car and she went to the dealership and returned it because she didn't want to use his money. What you are doing for her is using your money, and a decent amount of it, so she's not gonna be too happy."

Gemma laughed, "I've never heard of a girl who would return a car bought for her."

"I thought she was crazy when she told me the story. There was barely any point to it because the minute she got the money herself she went back and bought the exact car her dad bought her." Rachal shook her head with a laugh.

My mom patted my shoulder, "Don't mess this up anymore than you have. I like her so far."

"I'm trying not to." I replied with a sad smile.

I heard Bleu's voice yell from upstairs, "Harry Edward!"

Gemma chuckled while I widened my eyes. "I'll be right back." I moved out of the kitchen to see her standing on top of the steps, bags in hand. "What's up, angel?"

She rolled her eyes at the name but it didn't faze her speech. "Which room should I use?"

"Follow me." I answered, walking past her and towards the room directly next to mine. "Here you are, angel."

"Call me that one more time. I dare you, Styles." She threatened causing me to laugh.

"You're cute when you're annoyed."

She rolled her eyes, "Goodbye." Then proceeded to slam the door in my face. Classic.

Bleu Jones

I changed into a slightly oversized white sweater and pajama shorts and left my hair down to dry into its natural waves. I headed downstairs quickly — not wanting them to have to wait long on food.

I passed Rachal on my way into the kitchen and promptly grabbed her hand, "You're helping me cook."

She laughed, "Do I have a choice?"

"Nope." I opened the fridge while she opened the pantry to find out what we wanted to cook.

"Waffles?" She offered.

I smiled, "He's got chicken in here. Chicken and waffles for brunch?"

"Sounds great." Rachal smiled.

I pulled my phone out and began to play Adele and One Direction so we could sing along to it while we cooked. Every once in a while someone would come in the kitchen, laugh at us and then leave. But finally after a little while, we finished cooking and set up Harry's dining table with it.

I entered the living room where everyone was sat, "Brunch is done."

"Thank you, angel." Harry smiled earning an eye roll from me.

"You're trying too hard." Gemma muttered causing me to snicker.

"Bleu and Rachal! This looks fantastic, thank you girls." Anne smiled as she took view of the food.

"It's no issue at all. I love to cook and Rachal loves to be my helper." I smiled.

"Bleu could probably make any food you wanted her to mum." Harry stated.

"Except seafood." Rachal added.

Gemma cocked her eyebrow, "Why not seafood?"

I shrugged, "I was allergic to fish as a kid but then when I grew up, it kinda went away. But, I tried fish when I could and I hated it. Anytime I smell it, I want to puke."

"The things you learn." Mitch chuckled.

"So, while we eat this lovely meal why don't you two tell us about your families? Since Gemma and I seem to know less than everyone else." Anne chuckled.

Rachal started, "Well we both go to university at Columbia, this is both of our last years. I was born and raised in Pennsylvania with my little sister Ava Green whose 18. I'm going to med school soon to be a surgeon, and I'm currently 21. My dad is John Green and is a lawyer, my mom is Molly Green and she's an author." She looked over at me to start my story.

"Well like she said we're both going to Columbia. Um, I was born and raised in Virginia. I have three older brothers — Adam, 26, in the army, then John, 24, doctor, then Sam, 22, and unemployed. My mom is Krista Jones and she's a 'stay at home' mother. My dad is Robby Jones and he is a brain surgeon." I explained shortly.

"What are you studying?" Anne asked me.

"Uh, well to be a lawyer I guess." I didn't feel like diving into my career because I wasn't even sure what I was planning to be at this point. I would disappoint my mother for life if I didn't become a lawyer, but I wouldn't be happy if I didn't become a cook. But my ex's mother did not need to know that.

"I guess?" She inquired.

"Mom." Harry warned.

Anne smiled sweetly, her intentions were not to be rude. "I'm sorry, I was just asking. I didn't mean to intrude into your life Bleu."

I waved her worries off, "No need to apologize, just a question." I chose to not answer the question even though I could tell she would've liked me to.

She quickly changed the subject, "So, hows the music going?"

I tuned out the rest of the conversation and stared at my plate. Harry glanced in my direction with worry multiple times but made sure to keep his attention on the conversation at hand. After I finished eating, I got up and put my plate in the sink then sulked to my room for the rest of the night.

I didn't mean to be rude in anyway by doing it nor did I want attention brought to me. I knew Rachal would tell them this since no one had visited my room.

I was just lost. So badly I wanted to repair my relationship with my mother and have with her what my brothers have with her or what I have with my father. But it seemed impossible right now. I wanted what Harry had with Anne, or Rachal with her mother, Molly. I wanted to meet a doctor like my mother wished me to and fall in love. My family would be provided for and I would be living a normal and drama-free life.

I felt selfish. Selfish for thinking that I could just go to college to become a lawyer then skip law school and upset my mother. Selfish to leave the day after Christmas just because I was spending time with my friends and away from school. Selfish to have yelled at my mother for wanting a good life for me. Selfish for being here with Harry. Selfish for letting go with Shawn just because I couldn't get Harry out of my head.

I was selfish. I didn't just feel selfish. The hurtful truth was that I was selfish, and no one had the guts to tell me besides myself.

I needed to stop being so worried about myself and listen to my mother.